Games for beginners - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Games for beginners

Games for beginners

Are there any games for beginners? I've been scouring the Games and a lot of them seem to require you to already know a great deal of background about each game, the problem is I know nothing. I guess I'm looking for a "Tabletop RPG 101" game. Any help?

Are you talking about learning a system from the ground up, or are you talking about getting into a game for a specific system but starting at the ground floor with character creation?

Linky-link.
A D&D "beginner's game" has been requested in that thread. Moreover, such 'teaching' games do pop up from time to time.

The basics of PbP are outlined in the MW-Wiki help pages; that might give a few pointers, too.

Do you want to learn the basics of roleplaying games in general ? Do you have a specific game system you want to learn ?

Nevertheless, I'm moving this to Gaming Discussion, where it belongs.

Scarecrow, I'm not really sure what you mean. Maybe a better explanation will help. I have not played a tabletop RPG before. So I would like to find a D&D game that is for a true beginner at this whole thing. For a little bit I may need someone to hold my hand (but I will say I am a rather quick learner).

Whisper, thank you for moving the post to the proper forum. I have looked at the MW-wiki page. It has helped a little, but does little to answer more specific questions about games. For example when I go to game ads and read the original post I think to myself "Hey, this seems pretty cool!" but then I read all the application stuff and it requires things that I've never even heard of. I guess my current frustration is that I'd really like to play one of these games, but I'm competing to get in a game against a large number of experts. So to answer your questions yes, I want to learn the basics of roleplaying games in general and I would like to learn on one of the D&D systems and perhaps branch out from there.

I hope that explains it a bit better, thanks for your posts.

It can be hugely overwhelming in the Game Ads section. A lot of the games do go on the assumption that applicants know and understand the system as well as how to use Myth-Weavers. Probably your best bet is to start a thread in the Game Planning forum. There's usually other players looking to learn a system. Do you have any of the source material for D&D? Player handbook? If so, I'd start with that system depending on what version you have access to. If not, I believe 3.5 edition has a nice d20 srd you can use online.

Fkatschke,

I'm about to get started putting together a Swords & Wizardry game using the core rules, which you can download free here

It's a clone of the Original D&D rules, and is much more simple than trying to learn all the heavy mechanics of 3.5 or 4th edition. If this sounds like something you'd be interested, just let me know and I'd be more than willing to help you out

I completely agree with Syndl, that is what I did when I started on MW, I did have some experience with D&D before and even I found this site overwhelming, so I have a hard time imagining how you must feel.

Though I can't offer to run a game for you as I'm kind of a shitty gamemaster, however I can offer if you have any questions, shoot me a PM and I will try to help.

I'm currently running a training game for D&D 4E. Thought the player slots are full, I'm more than happy to have you (or anyone else!) on as a reader. This will let you see all of the private text and (I think) the GM-only "Arcane Secrets" thread group. I've already sent you a Reader invitation.

Learning the Ropes: More Trouble in Nentir Vale

Pathfinder also has an excellent SRD if you want to learn that. It's more or less 3.5, with some adjustments (some of which are fairly significant), but the SRD is just better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMorganes View Post
Thought the player slots are full, I'm more than happy to have you (or anyone else!) on as a reader. This will let you see all of the private text and (I think) the GM-only "Arcane Secrets" thread group.
Yes; readers can see all private text / private threads.

Quote:
I have looked at the MW-wiki page. It has helped a little, but does little to answer more specific questions about games.
If you have specific questions - and - a certain basic understanding of the game system, ask, either in the ad or here; many GM's probably won't mind beginners if they know about it and might offer to 'coach' you, at least in the beginning.
Otherwise, people at MW are in general friendly and willing to help, so a discussion thread might yield answers and suggestions.

Quote:
So to answer your questions yes, I want to learn the basics of roleplaying games in general and I would like to learn on one of the D&D systems and perhaps branch out from there.
However, for a complete beginner, a game designed specifically for teaching the basics would be better.

There are two game ads linked in the thread I linked in my previous post, one of them really basic, as far as books and rules used are concerned, I think.