geographical term help - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

World of Farland

A world conquered by evil and ruled by the Lords of Sin; A unique campaign setting designed to be used with all editions of D&D.

geographical term help

Help needed for geographical term

So I am doing a write-up on the kingdom of Faland, and I need to know if anyone knows a term for a certain type of geographical formation. The map of the kingdom is here: http://www.farlandworld.com/farkingdom.htm

The light green area from the Ruin of Gemulla in the north to the Far City in the East Ladona in the south to Naxos in the west is the area I'm talking about. Its a large, relatively flat extremely fertile area that slopes gently down from the foothills of the Great Mts. to the Straights of Gor. What is the name of this type of land formation? Right now I am calling it a large, shallow basin, but that doesn't seem right.

Well, it could be a valley: A linear depression in the landscape that slopes down to a stream, lake or the ocean. Formed by water and/or ice erosion. It's too fertile to call rangeland, and all the other varieties of land that might fit that description tend to be formed with sediment. That doesn't necessarily mean they aren't very fertile, but it doesn't help.

If you're rather not take my word for it, feel free to look through this glossary. (http://www.physicalgeography.net/glossary.html)

Well, it could be a valley: A linear depression in the landscape that slopes down to a stream, lake or the ocean. Formed by water and/or ice erosion. It's too fertile to call rangeland, and all the other varieties of land that might fit that description tend to be formed with sediment. That doesn't necessarily mean they aren't very fertile, but it doesn't help.

If you're rather not take my word for it, feel free to look through this glossary. (http://www.physicalgeography.net/glossary.html)

Thanks for the feedback. The thought of a valley crossed my mind too. But bear in mind that this area is roughly 300 by 200 miles. Is that realistic for a valley?

Thanks for the feedback. The thought of a valley crossed my mind too. But bear in mind that this area is roughly 300 by 200 miles. Is that realistic for a valley?

I'm having absolutely no luck in finding a site that's willing to talk about the size of it, but the Hudson River Valley covers 10 counties. Death Valley (thus demonstrating that not all valleys are fertile land) is only about 140 miles long, while the Great Rift Valley is over 3000 miles... if only 62 miles at the widest. I don't think there's really any size restraint to it.

I'm having absolutely no luck in finding a site that's willing to talk about the size of it, but the Hudson River Valley covers 10 counties. Death Valley (thus demonstrating that not all valleys are fertile land) is only about 140 miles long, while the Great Rift Valley is over 3000 miles... if only 62 miles at the widest. I don't think there's really any size restraint to it.