Help w/ Draconic Rite of Passage spell selection - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Help w/ Draconic Rite of Passage spell selection

Help w/ Draconic Rite of Passage spell selection

Heya, all.

I've applied for a draconic-themed game here and took the opportunity to play around with a kobold PC for the first time. We have access to Races of the Dragon, so I made sure that Nix completed his Rite of Draconic Passage. Thing is... I'm not sure which Level 1 spell off the Sor/Wiz list I should pick as his once-daily SLA.

The character concept is a based around traps. He's a scout 5/combat trapsmith 1 (no comments on class selection; this is an experiment) focusing on ranged attacks and trap finding/setting/removing. His base movement rate is 50' thanks to a the Quick character Trait and Fast Movement from Scout 3. Fast Movement is an enhancement bonus, and won't stack with a lot of stuff.

I've been toying with True Strike, but that seems obvious and muchkiny. Expeditious Retreat also fits the "fast moving" concept, though he'd only get a net +20' out of it. Arrow Mind also comes to mind, and would come in handy in a crowded battlefield.

Anyway, all sources are open. I'm looking for suggestions that are thematically consistent, not necessarily ones that add to Nix's combat prowess.

Thanks in advance!

The following spells are good for your intended concept.

Shatter comes to mind: find the trap and if it's non-magical, flat-out destroy it.

Grease: if you are scouting, and get into a jam, a slippery floor would be your best friend.

Shield or Mage Armor: Save on gp a bit. Sure, only 1/day, but would still have it's uses.

I am sure there's others, but these are simple and useful for your concept.

~Astilbe

Could only use True Strike every other round at most. Nothing high powered about it. It's not like you can do something with your super attack bonus aside from hitting on a 2, such as Power Attacking.

Given that it's a 1/day SLA, True Strike is even more suboptimal for what looks to be a non-PA using character. (small + scout =| power-attack using)

EDIT: A note on feat selection. Take Expeditious Dodge (Races of the Wild) instead of Dodge. Getting +2 against everything when you move 40 feet in a round (skirmish), rather than +1 against 1 foe.

~Astilbe

Power Word: Pain. Almost always going to do a little bit of damage up until the high levels. Probably not as good as grease, but it can be effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astilbe View Post
Given that it's a 1/day SLA, True Strike is even more suboptimal for what looks to be a non-PA using character. (small + scout =| power-attack using)

EDIT: A note on feat selection. Take Expeditious Dodge (Races of the Wild) instead of Dodge. Getting +2 against everything when you move 40 feet in a round (skirmish), rather than +1 against 1 foe.

~Astilbe
Woot!

With a base movement of 50' and SotR, I'll be moving at least 40' every round. Thanks for the heads-up on that, Astilbe!

Keep the spell suggestions coming. Applications for the game don't close until the 14th.

More suggestions.

Quote:
Power Word: Pain
+1

Sticky Floor (Races of the Dragon): Like Grease, but use it in combat, and then basically run circles around them.

Hoard Gullet (Dragon Magic): For the 'cool factor' alone. Not to mention, it's pretty darn useful.

Targeting Ray (Spell Compendium): Usefulness for your character, and anyone else who uses ranged attacks.

Fist of Stone (Spell Compendium): In the event you get in a jam, and can't get out of melee.

~Astilbe

Since, you're only looking at 1st level spells, how about:

Karmic Aura (Complete Mage) - Any creature damaging you becomes fatgued for 3 rounds.

Resinous Tar (Complete Mage) - Sticky substance slows movement or renders object difficult to drop.

Critical Strike (Complete Adventurer) - For 1 round you gain +1d6 damage, double threat range, and +4 on attack rolls to confirm critical hits.

Accelerated Movement (Complete Adventurer) - Balance, Climb or Move Silently at normal speed with no penalty or skill check.

Expeditious Retreat, Swift (Complete Adventurer) - Your speed increases by 30 ft. for 1 round.

Additional note:I could be wrong, as I've never played a Trapsmith, but aren't they limited to the spells listed under their prestige class description? It's on page 54 of Dungeonscape.

@ pisceanpaul: He's trying to get a useful spell to use as his 1/day SLA from the Draconic Rite.

Otherwise you are correct about the spell-list.

~Astilbe

Additionally, the prestige class in question is the Combat Trapsmith from Complete Scoundrel. They don't have a spellcasting progression...