WoLT: Johnstoning: Tormauz Timeline - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Writers' Guild

A community for writers of all genres to hone our craft, with monthly exercises, challenges, and collaborative writing. Open to anyone who enjoys writing!

WoLT: Johnstoning: Tormauz Timeline

Well, it's a chainmail vest--easy enough to add some leather straps on the sides to help it loosen (after all, Chainmail was an armour used in Europe for decades because it was easy enough to just hand down to your children and have them resize it themselves). Not to mention, it was taken by an eldritch being who then regifted it to the orcs. It's possible that through that process it was resized magically.

But I'm actually more partial to the idea that the Orcish rendition of the Legionaire armor was taken by the orcs and mutilated and twisted by their craftsmen to be fitted to them, making it look haggard and rough, perhaps corrupted through their own magic (which I'm aware they likely don't have much of).

Alternatively...

Whitefire, you said A chain mail vest. Is there anything stopping Agross, who is presumably pretty powerful, boosting the Mortal enchantment upon this one suit, and then splitting it into a number of amulets? (Well, chains) That way from a single item, he forges a legion, and we can play a little fast and loose with Sage's intent for the armour.

Absolutely no reason why not. After all, i did specify a single enchanted vest. It was L Tiene who said it was "one of many," and thus as L'Tiene is the one saying amulets, I leave the exact number of vests to him.

We'll have to change the mythology if we do it that way... how about the chain shirt belonged to the demon huntress and was re-purposed into amulets or rings or whatever? It wasn't actually the legion armor then, until the orcs got ahold of it. As a result, that makes the chain shirt turn into the legion armor. Works with both statements.

Also as an asside, orks do have powerful shamen. Think of them like klingons rather than WAR orks in terms of culture.

I more meant as the 'mid-to-low' magic of your setting in general. I like the idea of the demon huntress armor being split up and repurposed. That could work with the idea of a chainmail pauldron as well, which aesthetically is really BA.

*nods* No reason we can't combine the two ideas though. Why not have Kedra wear an enhanced suit, tied to the rest of the legion armor? She was the commander after all, and that leaves a suit of chain symbolic; each link was one soldier under her command.

This would mean there might be further powers to the original sets of legion armor, but that they'd require someone to reforge Kedra's suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moral Wiz View Post
*nods* No reason we can't combine the two ideas though. Why not have Kedra wear an enhanced suit, tied to the rest of the legion armor? She was the commander after all, and that leaves a suit of chain symbolic; each link was one soldier under her command.

This would mean there might be further powers to the original sets of legion armor, but that they'd require someone to reforge Kedra's suit.

The reason is because then we have two enchanted legions. not that this is a terrible idea, but it takes away from the uniqueness of an idea another writer worked really hard on and I'd like to handle it with due respect by making it unique (as the thread was named). Hence, the suit of chainmail was busted down and repurposed for the orcs, becoming the legion set mentioned prior, each ring being a trinket sewn into the orcish armor.

I put that conclusion to a vote for TWF and MW, mine being aye. Since there is three of us we won't tie

I can see where you're coming from on this, but I vote nay. To my mind, rather than diminish the original, this acts as an extension of the tale. This isn't simply a matter of someone copying the original enchantment, but someone taking a key part of it, and unravelling it to create a dark reflection. A new Legion, but one tied strongly to the old (as a corruption of it), and thus leaving the original legion still unique (The 'new legion' being very, very different)

Plus, this opens up the opportunity for the Orks to square off with a group wearing the true Legion Armor.

Hey, I'm all for the Orks corrupting the original magic. That just totally sounds like something a Horde would do.