Dark Ages v20 Optimization? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Dark Ages v20 Optimization?

Dark Ages v20 Optimization?

Hello there, Weavers of Myth! I've recently been toying with the new Dark Ages book, and it's really rather pretty! However, I've got next to no experience with character optimization in OWOD and I'm curious what the general perspective is on the system.

I only have minute experience with OWOD, stretching back to a game I played in 2013 and... that's about it. So any sort of tips or tricks you've got, I would certainly appreciate!

I'm thinking Ventrue or Lasombra. Dominate is really good, I'm not sure about presence, and Obtenebration seems like it pairs nicely with Dominate. Fortitude I think I prefer over Potence. I believe I'm going Manipulation 4, appearance 3, charisma 3 -- if memory serves, in non-GMC WOD it's strictly better to start with a 5 in something than try to build up the experience, since XP doesn't have the flat cost anymore? But going full on Manip 5 seems a little cheesy. I dunno. I'm happy to answer any questions that you might have, and look forward to all the advice you're willing to give me!

Thanks!

Character optimization isn't as important in oWoD as it is in other games, especially in Vampire games that are often more about social interaction than combat. There are no CR values in the game, and often fights are one sided either in favor of the players showing off how they're monsters, or against them as part of pushing the horror genre aspect.

That being said, to optimize you'll want to be able to do something in combat. That might mean using Dominate, that might mean using blood to increase your physical stats. Having archery or melee or brawl isn't a bad idea. However, you should also be able to do something in social scenes as well, to not just be crossing your arms while other people talk, unless you want to miss out on a lot of the game.

In general, I recommend spreading your discipline points out. Although high level disciplines are more powerful, low level disciplines usually have more utility, and you can use those in more situations. The Lasombra who has maxed out Obtenebration can be a powerful force, but even the first level of Dominate can greatly expand what they can do.

Remember though that no matter how well optimize that making poor choices (like trying to fight a Werewolf or Elder in a straight up fight) is generally a bad idea.

Since they both have Dominate, I'll skip over that. I personally like Fortitude a bit more than Potence as well, but Obtenebration is kind of too cool not to use, but the drawback is that it doesn't do much with few levels.

But, well, unless the disciplines work differently in the dark ages, Obtenebration works as normal v20.
Which means you can make Arms of the Abyss for 3 dots in Obt.
Arms of the Abyss have strength and dex equal to your dots in Obtenebration, levels in potence adds to their Str.
Rolling for AoA is Manipulation+Occult. Which can get a bit silly, since you can make a manipulative occult scholar with few, if any, combat skills and then go all Dr. Octopus on your enemies if the situation calls for it.
It's difficulty 7 to make a tentacle, each success gives you one. Oh and you don't need to spend actions to control them once they're made, you're free to do other stuff.

It might not be the most powerful thing around, but it gives you a lot of flexibility to have something to do both in and out of combat.