Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

New Race:Wrathful

New Race:Wrathful

Name: The Wrathful
Monstrous Humanoid Type
Languages: Common, Undercommon.
Bonus Languages: Any. (Except secret ones such as Druidic, etc...)
Favored Class: Barbarian.

Decription: They are black fleshed creatures with burning red eyes. Their flesh is taught and pitch black, with giant leathery bat wings that spread for about an 8 foot wing span. They stand anywhere from 6'3'' to 7'2'' and weight anywhere from 250 to 325 pounds roughly. They have large fangs and an underbiting jaw where their razor inch long teeth jut out. Their noses are slits on their face, two slits, like a skeleton's nose. They have two large horns that curve around like ram horns to point out at the sides of their cheeks, the points toward you. They have tails for balance, and double jointed legs, like a wolves' hind legs, or a dinosaur (raptor, T-rex). Clawed feet. Long muscular arms that end in ripping talons. They look as though they were manufactured for killing. They were.

Relations: The Wrathful have no allies. They kill anything and everything, especially if it is strong. If they cannot defeat their foes, they will move to another location. They are the beings of death and slaughter, that is their purpose, and there isn't any more to it than that.

Alignment: They are chaotic evil to the core. Sometimes good ones can be created, but it would most likely be nuetral if not evil. Good ones justify killing as much evil as possible for the protection of the weak. But truely the race exists for slaughter. They are murders, feeding on anything and everything they can get their hands on.

The Wrathful Lands: Are anywhere that strong prey can be found. As soon as a source of meat is gone, they will move on to the next location of powerful prey. They are nomads having almost no secure standing place they call their own.

Religion: They worship any deity who is for mayhem, killing, destruction and slaughter. Their Clerics often delve into the destruction domain, and other offensive domains. They rarely are healers, often focusing on as much offense as possible.

Reason for Adventuring: The Wrathful go on adventures mainly to find stronger prey to hunt. One primary calling of a Wrathful is to find challenging prey and see if it can best such an opponent. If not, it will slink into the night and strike later, when it presumes that it's foe is weaker. They seek the thrill of the kill, and by going out and finding all different sorts of opponents they fulfill a cultural dream of theirs.

Racial Traits:

Medium Size
+4 Str, +2 Dex, -4 Int, -4 Wis.
Darkvision 60 ft.
1 Primary Bite attack that deals 1d6 damage.
1 Secondary Gore attack that deals 1d6 damage.
2 Secondary Claw attacks that deal 1d4 damage.
+2 Natural Armor.
30 foot base land speed.
30 foot flight speed (Good).

LA:+4

This was originally a +2 LA but after looking at it with play experience, fly is worth +1, Natural Armor +1 or 2, Natural Attacks with excellent Strength +1 or 2.

If it stays at LA +4, even if it's fair, I don't see it as worth the hassle regardless. I would remove either the gore or claws and the dex bonus, and maybe reduce the maneuverability to average and make it LA +2. That seems fairer for the package you're trying to deliver, because I otherwise look at that huge LA and feel that a +2 win in stats (nearly at the cost of sentience) and very average natural attacks tacked on to flight doesn't look too attractive anyway.

So your thinking something more like this.

Name: The Wrathful
Monstrous Humanoid Type
Languages: Common, Undercommon.
Bonus Languages: Any. (Except secret ones such as Druidic, etc...)
Favored Class: Barbarian.

Decription: They are black fleshed creatures with burning red eyes. Their flesh is taught and pitch black, with giant leathery bat wings that spread for about an 8 foot wing span. They stand anywhere from 6'3'' to 7'2'' and weight anywhere from 250 to 325 pounds roughly. They have large fangs and an underbiting jaw where their razor inch long teeth jut out. Their noses are slits on their face, two slits, like a skeleton's nose. They have two large horns that curve around like ram horns to point out at the sides of their cheeks, the points toward you. They have tails for balance, and double jointed legs, like a wolves' hind legs, or a dinosaur (raptor, T-rex). Clawed feet. Long muscular arms that end in ripping talons. They look as though they were manufactured for killing. They were.

Relations: The Wrathful have no allies. They kill anything and everything, especially if it is strong. If they cannot defeat their foes, they will move to another location. They are the beings of death and slaughter, that is their purpose, and there isn't any more to it than that.

Alignment: They are chaotic evil to the core. Sometimes good ones can be created, but it would most likely be nuetral if not evil. Good ones justify killing as much evil as possible for the protection of the weak. But truely the race exists for slaughter. They are murders, feeding on anything and everything they can get their hands on.

The Wrathful Lands: Are anywhere that strong prey can be found. As soon as a source of meat is gone, they will move on to the next location of powerful prey. They are nomads having almost no secure standing place they call their own.

Religion: They worship any deity who is for mayhem, killing, destruction and slaughter. Their Clerics often delve into the destruction domain, and other offensive domains. They rarely are healers, often focusing on as much offense as possible.

Reason for Adventuring: The Wrathful go on adventures mainly to find stronger prey to hunt. One primary calling of a Wrathful is to find challenging prey and see if it can best such an opponent. If not, it will slink into the night and strike later, when it presumes that it's foe is weaker. They seek the thrill of the kill, and by going out and finding all different sorts of opponents they fulfill a cultural dream of theirs.

Racial Traits:

Medium Size
+4 Str, -4 Int, -4 Wis.
Darkvision 60 ft.
1 Primary Bite attack that deals 1d6 damage.
2 Secondary Claw attacks that deal 1d4 damage.
+2 Natural Armor.
30 foot base land speed.
30 foot flight speed (Average).

LA:+2

Yeah, definitely. That package is, though not as powerful, packing a good punch. The LA +2 gives it a higher value despite having less to offer. I think that version of the Wrathful would see a lot more play than an LA +4 version.

Based on the description should it be large instead of medium. I'm not sure where the cut-off for Medium vs Large is, but I think this has got to be right on the edge...

Yeah, I was talking to my friends about that. May make a racial paragon to make him large and gain some of what was lost in the LA drop. With 4 levels do gore attack at first, improving fly at second, gain dex bonus at third, and large size at forth.

Wrathful Paragon
LevelBase Attack BonusFortitudeReflexWillSpecial
1+1+2+0+0Secondary Attack-Gore for 1d6, or increases one step if it already has one.
2+2+3+1+1Fly manuverabilty increases one step.
3+3+3+1+1Size increases to large.

Don't do a four level paragon... The paragon paths are 3 levels for a reason. They're meant to let you keep up your regular class somewhat while giving a few new options based on your rase. And the reflex saves? Make it either the good progression or the bad progression don't make a fusion of them. Move the large to level 3.

My main issue with that racial paragon is that there's no reason not to take it. No caster will go within eighteen miles of the Wrathful race in the first place. So for the classes that will use this, it's gravy. Full BAB, two good saves, benefits at every single level. First level I sprout horns, second I fly better, third I get something that usually costs an LA +1. Alone, for an LA +2 race, not phenomenal. Coupled with the saves and the BAB? Yeah...

Thematically though, there's no other way about it. Wrathful is already a race that's shoe-horned into a single role and can't do bollocks else. So their racial paragon would likely be either too good or absolutely worthless however you shoot it.

If you're just doing this for a friend and are the DM (or if your DM agree), it's fine as it is. If you want to present it in a "world at large" sort of way, then the paragon is too good.