Was this a typical game? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Was this a typical game?

Was this a typical game?

Here's my experiance playing Deadlands with a group I ran with last year;

I had to roll up three separate characters because the other two died on me. The first one was a grizzled ex-sherrif who ended up being torn apart by mutant gorillas only for us to learn posthuminously that he wasn't the guy we thought he was, but was instead the "Good half" of an immortal ghost we were supposed to be trying to kill. The second one was as Blessed swordsman who wanted to be a knight, and was killed in a knife-fight by a Harrowed that he was holding back for his completely-untrustworthy allies. The thrid was a film-noir parody Problem Sleuth homage who only survived by staying out of the way and throwing one-liners while the rest of the party did all the fighting.

The rest of the party consisted of a mad scientist, a pirate, and a rabbi. I am not even kidding about that last one.

We had two kinds of adventures; ones where the GM ambushed us with impossible odds that we only barely came out alive from that gave no rewards and didn't advance the plot, and adventures where we spent the entire session tracking down the final boss only to end up with a near-TPK with the survivors running for the hills. The only one we actually beat was a dragon, and even then we only won beacuse we shot it with mad-science powered gatling-shotguns from within an armored carriage for an hour straight. And even then half of us died in the process.

So tell me, does that sound like a typical game of Deadlands, or was my GM just a sadistic bastard?

A typical game? No. An awesome game? Yes.

Deadlands is just one of those games, much like World of Darkness and Call of Cthulhu... where half of the fun is finding new and exciting way to die horribly.

Your GM was, in fact, a sadistic bastard. No doubt. But that's a prerequisite for an entertaining game. UNLESS of course you create a character with plenty of friends and loved ones to kill off. Then they all die first.

Nothing strange about a Rabbi in Deadlands. There were plenty of Jewish folks in the US in that time period, and Blessed is a major archetype in the setting. No reason they all have to be Christian preachers.

It does sound like your Marshall needs work. Deadlands can absolutely be a deadly setting, but you should generally have an even chance (and even better if you use good tactics). Certainly, not every session should be killing characters. If it is, either you're using very poor tactics, or the GM's just throwing too much at you.

Agreed. It can be a very gritty setting, but there's a reason for the Veteran 'o the Wierd West boon; people DO live longer than an encounter!

Also agree about the Blessed. It's an archetype: Taoist Monk to Santaria shaman all fall under that heading.