Luck O' The Draw - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Luck O' The Draw

Luck O' The Draw

I've been mulling around the idea of developing a deadlands game for MW and really want to include the Luck O' the Draw for determining character traits however there doesn't appear to be an easy way to accomplish this.

In a nutshell, what I'm looking to do is use dice to randomly determine the card draw. Each number represents a specific card that can only be drawn once. I could probably use Repeated Roll Sets to achieve a clumsy version of this: 12m1d54 should generate twelve seperate individual rolls of 12d54 I believe, but there is the very real likelihood that the same result comes up repeatedly which would be the equivelant of drawing the same card from the same deck a number of times. It shouldn't happen. Sure having a rule to drop duplicate results would work, but this may require add'l rolls ad nauseum which isn't ideal.

I'm sure many if not most of you are more die-roller savvy than I am so please, if there's something I'm missing; do tell!

Thoughts?

I've discussed with Plugsy before about a card generator for Deadlands: Classic- the problem is it gets WAY too complicated.

If I remember correctly, you don't reshuffle an action deck until a joker is drawn, then you have a separate deck for hexslinging and mad science, then you also have to consider shootouts which make it another deck. Its tons of micromanagement for the Marshal. Oh, and lets' not forget gamblin'

The method you propose is fine- until you get repeats, a deck will not have two ace of spades. You'll end up with a crap ton of rolling and rerolling and will definitely be hard to figure out what is what.

You could roll something like:
d54
d53
d52
d51
d50
d49
d48
d47
d46
d45
d44
d43
Adding one to each roll for each card of value lower than it.
This new number if the card.

Awkward, though requires no rerolls.

With a running card checker thing like:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

It would be known what cards are gone, so adding rolls won't repeat.

However, I don't know the system, so this could be not at all helpful.
I do none the less hope it is.

I don't know if this is the place fo this, but if you are going to run this eventually, do you have an idea in place?

It's been a while since i've played deadlands, but i am certain i would want to join.

I'm toying with the idea of starting a game. I currently have a game I'm focused on GMing but I'm working on a deadlands game as a potential side project.

Excellent, thanks for the link Natedojo. I just started a Deadlands Reloaded game last night and one of my players pointed me in this direction. I'm going with standard Savage Worlds build rules but this might be better than what I had planned.

Good. I hope it works out. The only problem I saw was that I don't think it has any jokers. :-/

Edit: One way that you can solve that, though, is by rolling
Dice Roll: 2d54s
d54 Results: 34, 8 (Total Successes = 2)
and picking two random numbers to be jokers. If those numbers come up, just factor in that the person drew the appropriate joker and draw one or two less cards. To completely avoid the possibility of replication, a sequence of
Dice Roll: 1d54s
d54 Results: 38 (Total Successes = 1)
and
Dice Roll: 1d53s
d53 Results: 11 (Total Successes = 1)
with the target numbers of 54 & 53 and 53 & 52 for the second roll, then that should be pretty accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus_project View Post
I'm toying with the idea of starting a game. I currently have a game I'm focused on GMing but I'm working on a deadlands game as a potential side project.
Seriously?

I had no idea you liked the game or knew the system. Whatever incarnation you decide to implement, I'm down. I'd like to join as a Player, of course, but if you need any help behind the scenes with non-spoiler related work, you know you can always send me a PM.