Multi-System Game? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Multi-System Game?

Multi-System Game?

Hey guys, I've had an idea for a while that a game could theoretically be created using multiple systems of RPGs. In particular, I'm thinking of merging the following systems:
  • D&D 3.5
  • d20 Modern
  • Shadowrun 4th Edition
  • Iron Kingdoms (the new one, not the one based on DnD 3.5)
  • Pathfinder
  • New World of Darkness

Any thoughts on how this could be done? Obviously between every system there are many, many similarities but also just as many, if not more, differences. The biggest difference is how combat works differently in each system. The best solution I've been able to come up with for the combat issue is creating multiple versions of the same enemy using each system and then finding a way to translate damage in one system into damage in another, thus creating a unified system of damage and effects.

Skills and Ability checks would work as per the system they're originating from. The Shadowrun character would roll d6s, and the D&D 3.5 character would roll d20s, etc.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone thinks this is too ambitious of a project, please speak up. I definitely know I'm missing tons of nuances that create differences between each system, and anyone who would be willing to point out extreme differences that would make things nearly impossible to merge would be greatly appreciated!

It's an interesting idea, but it seems like it would put a LOT of extra work on the DM/GM/ST. Even mooks would need to be multi-systemed, and some systems might have core mechanics (sanity, essence loss, etc.) that would be hard to translate.

I'm just curious as to what the object is behind running different systems at once. What would your objective be, as opposed to just translating each game setting into one systems mechanics?

The idea is to have one character from each system ultimately in the party. The basic concept for the campaign using this would be that each character is warped from each individual setting/system to a place where each has applicable knowledge and skills and creating a dungeon delve/campaign out of that.

You might look into Dungeons the Dragoning 40,000 7th Edition. It's an AMAZING amalgamation of D&D, Warhammer 40k/Dark Heresy, World of Darkness, and sprinkled with concepts from Savage Worlds, 7th Sea, Deadlands, and several others. It's impressive to say the least and I think deserves a lot more attention than it gets. It might give you some great ideas as to how to combine game concepts for your own game system.

Putting a 3.5e character in a group with anyone who knows modern physics and chemistry is not going to end well for anyone involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamedShadow View Post
Hey guys, I've had an idea for a while that a game could theoretically be created using multiple systems of RPGs. In particular, I'm thinking of merging the following systems:
  • D&D 3.5
  • d20 Modern
  • Shadowrun 4th Edition
  • Iron Kingdoms (the new one, not the one based on DnD 3.5)
  • Pathfinder
  • New World of Darkness

Any thoughts on how this could be done? Obviously between every system there are many, many similarities but also just as many, if not more, differences. The biggest difference is how combat works differently in each system. The best solution I've been able to come up with for the combat issue is creating multiple versions of the same enemy using each system and then finding a way to translate damage in one system into damage in another, thus creating a unified system of damage and effects.

Skills and Ability checks would work as per the system they're originating from. The Shadowrun character would roll d6s, and the D&D 3.5 character would roll d20s, etc.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone thinks this is too ambitious of a project, please speak up. I definitely know I'm missing tons of nuances that create differences between each system, and anyone who would be willing to point out extreme differences that would make things nearly impossible to merge would be greatly appreciated!
Merging the d20 games will be easy, but converting WoD to Dnd much harder as the systems are so seperate.

WoD has what, 9 stats and over 100 skills that modify stats? Not to mention how differently combat works. How do you handle a vampire with 4 ranks in celerity in a dnd world that specifically bans such things. How do you deal with soak vrs lethal damage?

I think your easiest job would just be to create a base "class" for each WoD character specific to their concept