Character Class: Puppet Master - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Character Class: Puppet Master

Which would kind of make them a minor form of Artificier, able to make puppet versions of war forged. I think it is utterly important to limit just how many they can have though. A horde of puppets is not subjective to as much potential damage as a same force of undead are.

It seems to me that concentrating on the puppets would be similar to concentrating on a spell. It doesn't require a roll to keep running, but if you get smacked in the face you have to make a concentration check based on how much damage you took.

It seems somewhat redundant to make five Warforged puppets though... I would hope someone had more imagination than that to just keep having the puppets bop with their slam over and over again. As stated, the puppets only get their full damage if they hit and their combined strength, though potentially crippling if they all hit, is designed so that they can hit just as often as they miss. Of course, I would be willing to also go the route of curbing their damage to either Half or Average and even add in the mechanic that a person could make a Reflex save to receive even less damage than that.

Grey It depends on who is looking at the class. Some might agree that one sustained Concentration check would be required to keep them moving while another would prefer they constantly have to roll as new scenarios and reasons to be stressed arise such as a pinned puppet on one side of the field and those attacking on the other.

Personally, I prefer scenario B where concentration is needed each round though I am not against the idea of being punched requires a new roll either. If anything I would combine the two together.

I think that a lot of combat situations would treat the puppets as individual creatures. I don't see why they can't all just be given their own statblocks. I would think concentration checks would only come into play when your control over your puppets is being threatened.

That all said, depending on the strength and flexibility of the puppets, you might have to pull back the spellcasting a bit. Minions can be really powerful, depending on how much utility they have, and having even the bard's spells known/per day can be a little much.

Well, as with a spell, trying to focus on too many things at once is its own distraction. If you were just guiding one puppet, I could see it; but with each additional one at the same time, I would like to see a penalty to the concentration roll, maybe even a -5. Of course, the next round the puppeteer could try his concentration roll again to reanimate the puppets where he left them.

You didn't see? They all do have their own statblock. Constructs with templates of races plopped onto them. Like I said earlier, the best comparison would be that of an Effigy Master.

The reason why I'm so adamant about Concentration being such an important thing is because Puppets can get the chance to do opposite things such as 3 move, one stays still, and one attacks. Unless they are all attacking only one will be allowed to. Though I didn't write it out yet, which I should really get around to doing. I'm going to allow the puppeteer to make attacks of opportunity with his puppets using a Concentration check with his ranks being divided by some unknown amount at this time and point equal to his Con Modifier.

So, we're talking a -25 check to Concentration each round he tries to move all the puppets at max level?
I can live with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blick View Post
Well, as with a spell, trying to focus on too many things at once is its own distraction. If you were just guiding one puppet, I could see it; but with each additional one at the same time, I would like to see a penalty to the concentration roll, maybe even a -5. Of course, the next round the puppeteer could try his concentration roll again to reanimate the puppets where he left them.
I don't see it as any different than a War Chanter singing two songs at once (and let's not forget using a Harmonising weapon or an animated instrument to increase the number even further). At the end of the day, we shouldn't be bogged down in "realism" so much that we lose sight of trying to make the feature balanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurinitus View Post
So, we're talking a -25 check to Concentration each round he tries to move all the puppets at max level?
I can live with that.
But what's the point of a hard concentration check each round? You're essentially giving the character a chance every round to suddenly be useless.

id say that they cant just be like 'oh i lost control of a puppet. Go web go!' and hook the puppet back up, afterall, the player will still have however many puppets they have active to worry about. id call activating a puppet a standard or move action, possibly with a ranged touch attack or something.
make them also invoke a concentration check during activation to keep control of activated puppets