That One Game You've Always Wanted to Run - Page 5 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

That One Game You've Always Wanted to Run

I've kind of wanted to do a Doctor Who/Haruhi Suzumiya crossover game mostly based on the premise that both have a protagonist whose name isn't known, who goes by the alias John Smith and who travels through time. The Haruhi Suzumiya light novels have some well thought out plots involving time travel, much more so than Doctor Who (which I have been a fan of since '82 so I have seen EVERYTHING to compare it to).

Reasons I have not done this.

1. Doctor Who games on Mythweavers usually do not work out. By that I mean they crash and burn, often because of petty bickering.

2. Crossing Doctor Who over with anything anime is probably not going to attract fans of the former.

3. Recruiting for an anime game can be hard when players are expecting Dragon Balls and pew pew and the source material is more slice of life than anything.

4. I get easily exhausted from running games that require lots of dice rolls.

I'd be into running Dread because the jenga gimmick appeals to me.
With my randomised player turnout, new players turning up regularly, and lack of buy-in (and the fact I'm enjoying the game I'm running a whole heap) it's not enough of a priority!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveled View Post
It is more SF, yes.
You should use Strange Fate, then!
Well that, or you can tweak any superhero game that has rules for henchmen and the like. But Strange Fate has rules for different levels of power, and combined with the rules for scope, you can easily have battallion-defeating superheroes fighting alongside the grunts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsenRG View Post
You should use Strange Fate, then!
Well that, or you can tweak any superhero game that has rules for henchmen and the like. But Strange Fate has rules for different levels of power, and combined with the rules for scope, you can easily have battallion-defeating superheroes fighting alongside the grunts!
They aren't supposed to be fighting side-by-side, the stories take place in the same universe but are otherwise independent.

Maybe use a different system for each?
You might be able to get different levels of power by shading up from Only War to Rogue Trader.

Quote:
They aren't supposed to be fighting side-by-side, the stories take place in the same universe but are otherwise independent.
It makes it even easier to accommodate them in Strange Fate, then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsenRG View Post
It makes it even easier to accommodate them in Strange Fate, then!
I have no idea what Strange Fate is. Is that the version in Atomic Robo Fate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
I've heard of a couple of stories of GMs doing things like this. The one I remember best had players in some sort of high-tech virtual reality game that contained other virtual realities within it. They used one system for the real-world characters, their VR avatars, and each of the settings they'd go into within the VR. I don't remember the specifics, but things done within each of the sub-realities would affect the greater VR, other sub-VRs, and even the real world. It's always been something I've wanted to try, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
You might be able to get different levels of power by shading up from Only War to Rogue Trader.
I've considered something like that, but it feels aggravatingly clunky. Plus, you're asking players to utilize three different systems.

I feel like this is a sort of Moby Dick situation, where if I ever managed to pull it off it would be a great story; but it would be way too hard on anyone involved to really be worth it.

Quote:
I have no idea what Strange Fate is. Is that the version in Atomic Robo Fate?
Not familiar with Atomic Robo version, but Strange Fate is the Kerberos Club Fate version.