I Sense a Great Disturbance in the Force. - Page 8 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

I Sense a Great Disturbance in the Force.

I'm definitely in the "wait and see whilst holding onto my popcorn" camp. They can't do any worse than Episode 1.

Disney has come a long way from the dark depths of Pocahontas and The Hunchback, Pixar taught them a lot of good lessons. With the right writers and Lucas being tied in a sack and gagged, new Star Wars films could be spectacular. I was a dedicated, even obsessive fan for two decades and Lucas turned the greatest thing in my life to poorly written, poorly acted, children's entertainment. I'm hopeful but wary.

Hunchback had serious potential sadly wasted by mostly those gargoyles, ie the most stereotypically Disney element in the movie.

The movie gets immensely better when you pretend the gargoyles are figments of Quasimodo's imagination dreamed up to comfort him in solitude. They then get wackier and wackier as he life gets more and more interesting, to the point where everything goes to hell and the only solace he has is his imaginary friends singing about what a great guy he is and the chick is totally gonna dig him.

Lucus gets more greif than he deserves.
Part one: creates Star Wars. Starts pop culture sensation.
Part two: hints at more movies. Speculation runs rampant.
Part three: edits poorly. Entire fan-base retaliates.

The 'problem' with the prequels had more to do with casting than anything else, in my book. That can be fixed in a new trilogy. So I'm looking forward hopefully.

As long as Disney doesn't see it as an opportunity to further the careers of their Disney Channel 'stars' that are getting too old for kids' shows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelkon View Post
Lucus gets more greif than he deserves.
Part one: creates Star Wars. Starts pop culture sensation.
Part two: hints at more movies. Speculation runs rampant.
Part three: edits poorly. Entire fan-base retaliates.
The editing wasn't the problem. The plot, script, characterizations, acting, and directing were the problems. Let's be honest: Lucas ruined his own franchise. Disney is unlikely to make it worse (cause that'd take some serious effort), so this has a very good chance at being good for the franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkWren View Post
The editing wasn't the problem. The plot, script, characterizations, acting, and directing were the problems. Let's be honest: Lucas ruined his own franchise. Disney is unlikely to make it worse (cause that'd take some serious effort), so this has a very good chance at being good for the franchise.
The bolded parts are all editing. Nobody was willing to tell Lucas he was wrong. Episode 1 was so close to being a good movie, but like 4 key things went wrong and it all spiraled downward. BTW, episode III was my favorite, so the whole trilogy wasn't a disaster.