Berserker MBA confusion - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Berserker MBA confusion

Berserker MBA confusion

My love for you is like a truck, Berserker!

And that truck is an ice cream truck and I am after a double dip!

Here is the run down:

Let's say for the sake of argument I have a nice friendly 1st level berserker. He plops down off the mickey mouse press with ears still attached although if he is lucky the GM will let those ears be a horned helm like every true berserker should have!

But I digress ...

So the text of Berserker Fury reads:

The fury has the following effects.
+ Your defender aura ends, if it was active, and you
cannot use defender aura or venaefulauardian until
the fury ends.
+ Some of your powers, such as your barbarian mar-
tial at-will attack powers, gain additional benefits,
as noted in those powers.
+ Your melee basic attacks deal1d8 extra damage.
This extra damage increases to 2d8 at 11th level
and 3d8 at 21st level.

So each of these effects is applied in serial fashion.

Erik, our new zerker, charges his very first goblin victim, Ulg.
He has violated protocol and taken an Old barbarian power, Howling Strike because, secretly, he is crafty, especially for a berzerker. His father, however, declares that he is not a true berzerk!

Anyway, since he is charging Howling Strike is now an MBA so he gets [w]+d6+str and +d8 for the fury. At 11th level Erik does [w]+2d6+str+2d8. I think he might actually be a true berserk!

Is that correct? because of the charge MBA howling strike becomes a berserker double dipping situation?

And another question that immediately springs to mind ... if a power lets you shift and do an MBA then can I shift/charge as long as I have a distance of 2 or more in a straight line?

I'm going to say no to the Berserker Fury damage boost with Howling Strike. Berserker Fury gives a damage boost to Melee Basic Attacks. Howling Strike is not a Melee Basic Attack. The text of Howling Strike indicates you can use the power in place of a Melee Basic Attack when charging.

Berserkers and the barbarian attack powers from PH2 and Primal Power do not mix well. Specifically, berserker class features won't boost "standard" barbarian powers. Keep in mind, too, that all "standard" barbarian powers have the Primal keyword and will instantly trigger Berserker Fury. At first blush it may seem like a good idea to trigger this at will, but it's really not. You give up a lot of your defender-y abilities, have NO synergy with "standard" barbarian At-Will attacks, and can generally do the same thing with any Primal encounter attack, only better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by series0 View Post
And another question that immediately springs to mind ... if a power lets you shift and do an MBA then can I shift/charge as long as I have a distance of 2 or more in a straight line?
Another "no" vote on this one. Charging is not a Melee Basic Attack. It's an entirely separate Standard Action.

What the good doctor said.. It'd need to have this line to get the bonus (from the Paladin's Virtuous Strike):

Special: This power can be used as a melee basic attack.

As a melee basic is much different than "in place of a melee basic attack".. Howling strike does not become a Melee Basic Attack when charging, it is just allowed to be used rather than the MBA..

My 'no' to the charge was to the
Quote:
then can I shift/charge as long as I have a distance of 2 or more in a straight line?
because there are feats and powers that would make it to where no one else would get a turn ever again because you would be shift/charging constantly, what with ability to get 3 to 6 squares of shifting with the right feat and at-will setup.