Gay Marriage - Page 6 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Gay Marriage

All of them? Any that want to? If "Marriage" is redefined to be a purely voluntary act with no legal ramifications unless the married people also choose to form a civil union, than obviously anyone who wants to perform marriages will able to do so. The line for weddings at the First Reformed Church of the Sacred D20 (Non-Gygaxian) forms to your left.

So basically marriage is a religious institution however no religion can claim ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wippit Guud View Post
So, marriages performed by a religion would not be legally binding?
I believe that's actual true at the moment unless the minister performing the ceremony is also a licensed marriage [insert title here cause I don't know it].

I agree that living arrangements and familial bond issues should not be the realm of government, but culture and social life. Government absolutely should treat each person as an individual and as fairly as possible. In truth I suppose I believe that government should make no law respecting cultural or religious practices. All laws should be universal and as simple as possible.

And I emphatically disagree with not changing the framework to suit those goals regardless of the upheaval it will cause. Let's get things headed in a right direction, letting fairly universal wisdom guide us, sooner, rather than later. The problems mankind is facing are precipitous and we need to act like we care and some urgency is involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkWren View Post
I believe that's actual true at the moment unless the minister performing the ceremony is also a licensed marriage [insert title here cause I don't know it].
It is.

Which brings the next question: would becoming licensed require you to "marry" a gay couple if asked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkWren View Post
insert title here cause I don't know it].

Officer or Justice of the Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wippit Guud View Post
Which brings the next question: would becoming licensed require you to "marry" a gay couple if asked?
They're not forced to marry heterosexual couples if they don't want to. You have to find another officiator. I don't know why it'd be any different for a same-sex couple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimson View Post
So basically marriage is a religious institution however no religion can claim ownership.
Close, but I think the real message being sent is: Only religions that don't allow same sex marriages can claim ownership. All those religions and churches that would happily marry same-sex couples right now have to deal with their religious freedoms being trampled on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiyn View Post
Close, but I think the real message being sent is: Only religions that don't allow same sex marriages can claim ownership. All those religions and churches that would happily marry same-sex couples right now have to deal with their religious freedoms being trampled on.
Nobody stops them from conducting whatever religious ceremonies they want. It's just not legally recognized. That doesn't interfere with religious freedom, it's equality that's affected.