Libya consulate attack - Page 6 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Libya consulate attack

Why would he have to? Innocent until proven guilty. Further, how would there be weight of precedence? How many situations have come to courts a case like this?

You know what, I'll be generous. I'll concede, whether I agree with it or not, that at the moment they were entirely within their rights to make this movie. I will, however, say that releasing it could well qualify as Reckless Endangerment. They could have made it and kept it in their DVD collection to show it to friends, whatever. But by releasing it into the open internet, they released something that they likely knew full well would cause a riot somewhere. Indeed, given that the production was funded by a virulently anti-Egyptian Copt expat, directed by a Fundamentalist Christian and produced by an Israeli that very well could have been their intended goal from the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
And yet I'm having great difficulty finding that excerpt in the article you linked...
The first two paragraphs are quite similar in content.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The first two paragraphs
UPDATE: U.S. officials have told The New York Times and CNN that the deadly consulate attack in Benghazi, Libya, which killed U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens, may have been planned in advance.

According to the CNN report, "attackers used the protest outside the consulate as a diversion," though sources "could not say whether the attacker instigated the protest or merely took advantage of it."
Unless you're looking for exact text, in which case... well, if memory serves it came up a couple of blogs. I regard those as being only slightly better than Wikipedia for things like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
The first two paragraphs are quite similar in content.

Unless you're looking for exact text, in which case... well, if memory serves it came up a couple of blogs. I regard those as being only slightly better than Wikipedia for things like this.
A wholesale absence of any reference to 'London terror analysts' was rather striking. That was about a third of the volume of the excerpt, and about half of the content. This suggests to me that your link is not the article referenced.

I tried watching that movie, and I just can't. I can't take it seriously enough to not start laughing at the sets, script, acting, everything about the production of it is so laughable I can't pay attention to anything else.

Also, at this point, multiple news sources are reporting that this appears to be a premeditated attack (which makes sense, cause they're all stealing the same story from AP, who generally have reliable sources). What I'm more interested in (and disgusted by) is the politicization of this horrible event. It's almost as repulsive as the movie itself.

What are we arguing about here? Are we accusing CNN of faking a news story? Or doubting it unless they reveal their government sources? What exactly is the end goal of this source demand?

If I can briefly interrupt the free speech argument-

I briefly met Sean Smith in DC. He joined the Foreign Service around the same time I did. We were both in the IT classes. We briefly discussed a love of MMORPGs. I was into Shadowbane at the time, and until today I wouldn't have been able to recall what he was into (EVEOnline, as it happens). I vaguely recall him trying to talk me into joining, and I'm sure I did the same. He was in a different cycle of classes, though, so we never really got to know each other.

I worked with him over email a few more times over the years. When he was in Canada we communicated over some inconsequential work related stuff.

He was a decent guy who left behind a family. RIP Sean.

Please resume free speech ranting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkrough View Post
He was a decent guy who left behind a family. RIP Sean.
Selah. Let us not forget the fallen or those left behind.