Free Form Player Listings - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Free Form Player Listings

Well, I'm planning to start a free-form campaign somewhere in the future, though it would still be a few months away, since I need to prepare everything from the ground up and I'm not with that much time nowadays. Dalara is also working on a campaign, if I remember correctly... There'll definitively be free-form games cropping up sometime in the near future around here! (:

That's not a bad idea, though, for now I think at least for me and Silver we best hold off or at least entertain the idea for later. I am not against it in the least.

I just put up this thread for all our benefits, so if anyone else is willing to make the effort, good on them and hope it works, and if time and game space allows I will join. And yes I am in the process of making a campaign that is more than likely going to be a free form, but that is long time away as I am putting heavy effort into making it a good one.

We can use this thread like a sort of calling list. We can PM people inviting them to campaigns or at least to check out campaigns and such.

Me too. I adore Dune and Starwars, like Vampire (provided its a bit more male-friendly type of dming. I don't like it when it goes down the twighlight road. Please note this isn't meant to be sexist, I just prefer vampires who do more than entangle themselves in romance), Shadowrun, and am willing to play any fantasy or space opera style freeform game.

I hear ya Paper. I love Vampires and I do play more than romance, but it can be a fun angle if done right; though I would avoid the Twilight angle myself... -chuckles-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalara Shadowmist View Post
...though I would avoid the Twilight angle myself... -chuckles-
Please, for the love of god, yes.

Anyway, I play freeform on occasion. I'm not a hugest fan of it, admittedly, but if the game setting is interesting, I'd be willing to play it. I do have a certain preference for unusual settings, but anything's fair game to me.

Okay, nice, but isn't this the kind of thing that ought to go in the Game Planning forum? People who want to play free form games can see it there and brainstorm, and then start up some game applications. Sounds nicer to me than keeping a database on people who you'd have to search out and recruit for your games. Especially since people don't have to necessarily identify as "free form players" to want to play a free form game. I've enjoyed the several I played in before I ever tried rules-based systems, and I certainly wouldn't call myself a "free form player." But if I saw an ad, or an interest check, I might be inclined to join in.

The real nice thing about free form games is that they don't require the knowledge of any complicated established (and expensive) rules system. They are easy to get into: Any roleplayer is part of the potential audience. So I don't think you should have any trouble just making a thread like this "who wants to play freeform games?" in the game planning forum. Who knows, you might start a new trend and even get a new label for game threads.

I started PbP gaming with free-form so I have a special kind of love for it. I enjoy most all kinds of genres, being Fantasy, Horror, Sci-Fi. If I had to put them in more rule oriented game comparisons, D&D, World of Darkness, Star Wars, Exalted, Traveller, Call of Cthulhu style games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal View Post
Okay, nice, but isn't this the kind of thing that ought to go in the Game Planning forum? People who want to play free form games can see it there and brainstorm, and then start up some game applications. Sounds nicer to me than keeping a database on people who you'd have to search out and recruit for your games. Especially since people don't have to necessarily identify as "free form players" to want to play a free form game. I've enjoyed the several I played in before I ever tried rules-based systems, and I certainly wouldn't call myself a "free form player." But if I saw an ad, or an interest check, I might be inclined to join in.

The real nice thing about free form games is that they don't require the knowledge of any complicated established (and expensive) rules system. They are easy to get into: Any roleplayer is part of the potential audience. So I don't think you should have any trouble just making a thread like this "who wants to play freeform games?" in the game planning forum. Who knows, you might start a new trend and even get a new label for game threads.
You misunderstand my reason for creating this. Keep in mind few people actually look at the Game Planning forum compared to this forum. Also the Game Planning Forum is as its name implies... for planning games (The mods would likely just shut me down or shift my thread here). This is in no way shape or form a thread for planning games, its for getting people knowledgeable and connected with others who are akin to them in their like for Free Form. Its to make people aware that they are not alone. As Silverkiss said, he has put off many games because he felt the player base for Free Form was too small to make an attempt at a game worthwhile. I feel that way as well (and I know many others do also), though so far, I am feeling really good at the amount of people who have responded, and I know their are more out there still.

So, this thread serves as a way for people to hopefully get excited about free form knowing they now have a chance at getting a game going seeing that are indeed people who wish to play or at least like it and might play if they like the system flavor or the flavor of the campaign not related to a system.

As a nice note, 12 people, 13 including me! Keep it coming people, we will have a Free Form revolution! lol, jk in a sense. I really hope this gets people interested in making campaigns and in playing if they have lost the desire.