Quick questions and answers - Page 352 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Quick questions and answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genuine View Post
~D&D 3.5~

Does Freedom of Movement overcome the movement effects of Grease (i.e. the balance checks, reflex saves, half-movement, etc.)?
I'd say yes; the FAQ states that it works against a mimic's adhesive. By extension, it should work against a sticky floor spell - which is essentially the opposite of a grease spell.

Alternatively, the FAQ states that
Quote:
Freedom of movement is one of those tricky spells that has
a lot of open-ended wording that might lead to confusion. The
spell becomes much more manageable if you just look at it as
something that ignores any physical impediment to movement
or actions.
[emphasis added]

But grease is not physically restricting movement like web and solid fog. It is making you move slow because if you don't you will slip and fall down. They are not the same thing.

Being able to move freely does not keep you from slipping and falling on your behind when you step in a puddle of grease. I would go with a no answer on that, but can find nothing to support either viewpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
But grease is not physically restricting movement like web and solid fog. It is making you move slow because if you don't you will slip and fall down. They are not the same thing.
But isn't something that causes you to slow down a physical impediment? You have to slow down and take care not to fall.

Characters can get through a web at restricted movement if they make a strength check. Failure means they can't move. Freedom of Movement negates this restriction.

Characters can get through a grease at restricted movement if they make a balance check. Failure means they can't move. Same 'circumstances', different skill. Freedom of Movement should also negate this restriction.

Does racial spell resistance increase when yo increase the HD of a creature? and if so by how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas View Post
Does racial spell resistance increase when yo increase the HD of a creature? and if so by how much?
The only example I can find is the Hound Archon, which includes an adavanced one that gained paladin levels. The Spell Resistance description says he gains +1 Resistance for every character level. So, it'll go up with that.

One character level is +1 CR. 4 HD is also +1 CR. So, if it were me, I would rule that spell resistance would increase 1 for every 4 racial HD added.

Hmm I am wondering how they got to the 18 they have for the Arrow Demon...10 Outsider Hitdice. Now Outsider HD increase CR every 2, would advancing to 20 HD give me a +5 SR?

I'm thinking that spell resistance is arbitrary depending on the specific creature. I can't see any set standard base on creature type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas View Post
Unless a creature's entry does state an increase (and the amount), it doesn't.

However, an SR of (CR + 10) is not bad, as a rule of thumb; thus, if your advanced monster's CR increases by 2, increase its SR also by 2.