The Sand Golem - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

The Sand Golem

The Sand Golem

OK, here's a creature I just came up with while figuring out something else. It's a golem, made entirely out of sand. What do you all think?

Sand Golem
Medium Construct
Hit Dice: 10d10+20 (75 hp)
Initiative:+0
Speed: 20 feet
AC: 23 (+0 dex, +13 natural) touch 10, Flat footed 23
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+12
Attack: Slam +12 melee (1d4+5)
Full Attack: 2 slams +12 melee (1d4+5)
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: Engulf
Special Qualities: Construct traits, Damage Reduction 10/bludgeoning, Darkvision 60 feet, Immunity to magic, Low-Light vision, Regenerative
Saves Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +4
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 10, Con -, Int -, Wis 13, Cha 1
Skills-
Feats-
Environment: Any
Organization:
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 10-12 HD (medium), 13-20 (large)

Sand golems are magically created creatures who can assume any humanoid form the creator desires, though they are always at least medium size, regardless of the form they are emulating, and are clearly made of sand, unless magically disguised.

Combat
Sand golems are a threatening opponent, despite the fact that they lack the size of other types of golems. Calmer than many, they possess enough strength to take down more than their share of foes, and their regenerative ability makes them difficult to put down.
Sand golems do not have the "Berserk" quality possessed by most golems.
Engulf: When a Sand Golem succeeds on a full attack action, it may attempt a grapple as a free action, without provoking attacks of opportunity. If it's grapple check succeeds, then it begins to pull its opponent into itself, dealing 2d6 crushing damage every round, and forcing its victim to make the usual saves against suffocation
Regenerative: As a full-round action, a Sand Golem may bring any sand or fine soil to their bodies, allowing them to regrow any severed limbs, and regain 1d6 hp. All limbs are regrown after the first round, and they continue to regain 1d6 hit points for every round that they do nothing but gather sand.
By adding Haste to the spells cast to animate the golem, and adding 50 pounds of sand to the amount required, the time required to start this ability is reduced to a standard action.
In addition, while in an environment where sand is the prevalent ground type (such as a beach or desert), a Sand Golem automatically gains Fast Healing 1, or Fast Healing 3 if created in conjunction with a Haste spell.
Immunity to magic: Sand golems are immune to all magic, except as noted below.
Any spell that deals fire damage slows a Sand Golem, as the spell, for 1d6 rounds, while any strong winds (magically created or otherwise) haste the golem for as long as they last. A Dispel Magic or similar spell causes the Sand Golem to collapse into a pile of inert sand for as long as the effect lasts and 1d4 rounds afterwards. While a pile of sand, they are considered prone, helpless, and stunned, while their damage reduction changes from DR 10/bludgeoning to DR 20/-.
Vulnerability: Whenever a Sand Golem takes damage from a nonmagical Acid attack, it takes an additional 50% damage.

Construction
Sand golems are possibly the easiest golem to create. The only materials you need to create one is at least 200 pounds of sand. No crafting of it is required, as once animated, the golem rises up and forms itself out of the sand.
CL 10; Craft Construct, Animate Objects, Haste (optional), Caster must be at least 10th level, and must expend 3000 XP.

What sort of CR would this bad boy have...6-7ish?

Very original, I like it.

I love the regenerate capability, but I think it might be interesting if once they stop gathering sand, they're forced to wait a number of rounds (1d4+1 or so) before healing themselves again. That way the golem would have to be a bit more conservative.

And the wind idea sounds nice, but wouldn't it be slowed if it tried going against the wind? I guess trying to account for each direction would be a little too much, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leova View Post
What sort of CR would this bad boy have...6-7ish?
I estimated it about 7, but I'm horrid at that sort of thing. I thought it there, because I based it somewhat off the Flesh golem, made it smaller, and gave it totally different abilities.

Also, wouldn't water-based spells cause serious problems for the golem? heck, a spray of water could even be enough to break off a limb or two, if placed properly...

Actually, there already is a sand golem in Sandstorm, p182, CR12.

Its 2 sizes bigger than this, has a 20ft burrow speed through sand and earth, same AC (more nat, -1 dex -2 size), more powerful slams (3d6+6 with the stifle effect (also in sandstorm)), has an effect that puts a -4 on all dex skill checks and any skills that require vision, stifle (forces sand into the lungs, dc10 con check to avoid suffocating, each round with DC+1 each time, full round with AoO to clear, failed check starts suffocation (p304DMG)), its immune to all magic that allows SR, although earthquake can actually be cast on it for 3d12 damage and stops it moving on its next turn, a vitrify spell negates its DR and spell immunity for 1 round, blast of sand and flaywind burst restore 1/3 the damage they would to do HP and a fuse sand fully heals it. Finally, it has all the normal construct traits.