The Aveyond - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

The Aveyond

The Aveyond

This is something I came up with, because I don't like the forces of Darkness to have something that the Forces of Light do not have a counter to. So here it is, the Aveyond, a Deathless version of the Vampires.

The origins of the Aveyonds goes back to some of the most devote Clerics of Pelor. This group spent their entire Clerical career trying to find a way to counter the threat posed by the Vampires; vile, undead creatures who drained the life force of any living creature they desired. They never managed to find one, in life. But, when each of them died, Pelor rewarded their devotion to the battle against darkness by granting their wish, and raising them as the first Aveyond, deathless beings who gave life, just as Vampires take life.

Aveyond is a template which can be applied to any Deathless creature, and must be taken when the Deathless type is gained. Aveyonds use the Deathless abilities and modifiers, except as noted below.

Ability Scores: +4 Cha. All Aveyonds get along well with other creatures, and are very friendly.

Speak With Dead (Su) (sp): Aveyonds gain the ability to use Speak with Dead as a spell-like ability twice per day, but only on creatures of a good alignment.

Sunlight Boon (Ex): All Aveyond have a deep love of and connection to the sun. While in areas of bright light, they receive a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls, as well as on all saving throws. This ability works, even if the light is generated by a spell, such as a Sunlight spell, but only for as long as they are in areas of bright illumination.

Temporary Con (Ex): All Aveyonds have a pool of temporary constitution points they may grant to any other living creature. Most prefer to have the target willing, though they are not above grabbing someone if they must. This pool of temporary Constitution has a maximum capacity of double their hit die. Every day adds one point of temporary Con to their pool. By biting one living individual, an Aveyond may grant that individual a number of temporary Con points up to their maximum pool currently available.
If an Aveyond grants more than their current Hit Die in Temporary Con to any creature, they must make a Will save (DC 5, plus one for every point they are granting), or fall unconcious. While they do not use the blood they produce, their bodies still become accustomed to it, and as such loosing large amounts of it results in a slight system shock.
When an Aveyond's Con pool reaches maximum capacity, they must grant Con to a creature, or else their Con pool overloads, forcibly ejecting their excess blood out one their bodies orifices. This drains their pool down to one point, and forces them to make a Fortitude save (DC 10 plus the number of points lost this way), or fall unconscious.
When an Aveyond grants temporary Con to an individual, that individual is automatically cured of any fatigue or exhaustion effect on them, as well as any disease or poison affecting them. The blood of the Aveyond's is strong and pure, clearing out the target's system and reinvigorating them.
Con points granted by an Aveyond fade at a rate of one per day, until they return to their natural.
When an Aveyond bites a non-vampire undead, the undead must make a Will save (DC 10 plus the amount of Con that would have been gained), or be affected as though sickened for 3d6 rounds. On a successful save the duration is halved.

Spawn Aveyond: Just as Vampires can create more vampires, so Aveyonds posses the ability to create more Aveyonds. The difference, while Vampires must drain a person of all their life to raise them as a Vampire, Aveyonds raise those who have already died as new Aveyonds. To create a new Aveyond, the original must have the (preferably fresh) corpse of a willing, good-aligned creature. This can be through a prior agreement the individual had with the Aveyond, or through the Aveyond getting the creature's spirit to agree to be raised as one through their Speak with Dead ability. The Aveyond then bites the corpse, granting it all but one point of the Temporary Con pool available to it, making the appropriate will save for giving more than their Hit Die in Con to one creature. This causes the corpse to rise as a Deathless Aveyond.
The other way to create new Aveyonds is to convert a Vampire. But this is a risky endeavor, and Aveyonds rarely attempt it. Whenever a Vampire bites an Aveyond, or vice versa, they must make an opposed will save. If the Vampire succeeds, then his thirst for blood is satiated for two weeks. During that two week period, the Aveyond is slowly converted into a Vampire, as the vampires dark essence has overcome and tainted the purity of the Aveyond. Should the Aveyond win, then during the two weeks that the Vampire's thirst is satiated, the Vampire will slowly convert to an Aveyond.

Speak with Avians (Ex): All Aveyond can communicate with avian creatures who have an intelligence score of 2 or higher, regardless of if they share a language. This applies to Hawks, Ravens, Sparrows, Eagles, and other forms of nonmagical birds. This does not apply to magical beasts, unless they are simply treated as magical beasts, as with a Wizards familiar, or a Druids animal companion.

Comforting Gaze (Ex): Whenever a living creature willingly gazes into an Aveyonds eyes for one round or longer, they feel a sense of peace and calm coming over them, relaxing them. Creatures so affected are affected as though with a
Calm Emotions spell, with no saving throw. The effect lasts for 2d4 rounds after eye contact is broken.

Level Adjustment: Same as base creature +3

Eh. I'm not the greatest at crunchbalance, but fluffwise... why biting them? He's not taking, he's giving. What, is he pushing magic spit into the wound? I'd make it a touch attack, a glowing aura of positive energy or something.

Is it tied to blood, as it is now? You mention it, but it's not specified.

Also, they're not really antivampires, so much as deathless who have one bit that is the opposite of vampires. I think perhaps more of that aspect should be played up - a minor bonus when in sunlight, or damage when under the moon. The ability to talk with eagles and (something)?

Now, to give a go at crunchy, it seems that it might be broken in a party. It takes some time to build up, but he can grant temporary Con to the entire party. Of course, once he does that, he's useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticattack View Post
Also, they're not really antivampires, so much as deathless who have one bit that is the opposite of vampires. I think perhaps more of that aspect should be played up - a minor bonus when in sunlight, or damage when under the moon. The ability to talk with eagles and (something)?
Well, if they're meant to counter vampires, then having them take damage in moonlight would make a very bad choice. I mean, they'd never meet, as the vamps wouldn't come out in day and these guys wouldn't come out at night.

I do agree that their anti-vamp properties need to be focused a bit more, although they're getting there. But I don't think that biting sends the right antivamp thing, as they are still fundamentally doing the same thing, something like a hand to the breastbone of a corpse and a a pulse of light from said hand reanimating them would seem more like a positively aligned creature to me.

Well, I got the idea for this from an anime series called Karin (Chibi Vampire in the english). For those of you who don't know it, the main character (Karin), is the eldest daughter of a family of vampires (one older brother, one younger sister). She is the oddball of the family, because she has no problem going about in sunlight (actually enjoys the sun!), has no night-vision to speak of, and instead of sucking blood, she produces blood which she has to inject into other people, or else it squirts out her nose.

Yeah... that's odd. Take the general concept and run with it. Blood squirting out the nose would be better suited for a "funny" game, or a suitably mythic game - where the vampires can't leave a crossroads, and have to count rice, for no other reason than "they're vampires, and that's what vampires do".

Besides, as good vampires go, Duckula beats them all.