Special mounts improving in diffrent ways? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Special mounts improving in diffrent ways?

Special mounts improving in diffrent ways?

I've had an application to my Wyrmtale game who has requested to play a paladin whose mout is a lion.
That paladin is a medium character so that's where the problem steams from.
The DMG has rules stating how new mount types can be selected, specically they must be one category larger (among other non-relevent things here).
A lion IS one category larger, but as Dhin stated (and I quote):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhin
The basics where: lions (large) are only 350 - 500 lb. A horse is 750 lb(light) to 1300 (heavy) the difference is a Lion could not bear a ride and its equipment because it was a very small Large animal, a horse on the other hand is more in the right size range. A dire lion (still large) could at 3500 lb do it with ease. So basically I'd say any large animal under 700 lb would be too small, even if the rider was a dwarf (smallest medium sized demi-human).
So I was thinking perhaps to allow the paladin in question to start with a youngling Dire lion, whom while being considerably larger then a normal lion (though not outside the large size category), we'll have more or less the same traits.
As the paladin inceases in level that lion will grow larger and older, until he develops into a full dire lion (at paladin level 8), at which point the DMG guidelines for a Dire Lion kicks in as normal.

Could this prove unbalancing (and yes, I've taken into accout the pounch ability *shiver*)? could the idea improved upon? do you think this is a copyright infrigments of He-Man ( )?

I'm pretty sure that this is spelled out reasonably well in the DMG on pages 204-205.

It suggests that by 8th level, any paladin could have a dire lion for a mount.

The dire lion is a really hard core mount - a guy I play with has one. They're definitely much more dangerous than a standard warhorse, and I don't know if there's much reason to *not* go with the dire lion if the opportunity comes up. Well... except that you could also pick a flying mount instead.

You misunderstand me, I don't have a problem (well too much of a problem anyway) with the Dire lion as a mount, I'm talking about taking a young (i.e less powerful) dire lion in 6th level, and then improving it to a normal (I.E. as in the SRD) dire lion.

Maybe drop its physical stats and hit die slightly and it doesn't get pounce yet? Pounce is a pretty incredible ability at any 12th level, much more so for a creature with 3 attacks at 6th level.

Paladin's can take a dire wolf at 6th level, a dire wolverine at 7th, and a dire lion at 8th. So, we just need to make the dire lion equivalent to the other 2. Which basically comes down to number of attacks and special abilities, since the wolf and lion have the exact same stats.

6th level: Juvenile Dire Lion - as Dire Lion with the following changes: 6 HD, one attack (bite), lose pounce.

7th level: Maturing Dire Lion - as above, add 1 HD, add 2 claw attacks as primary attacks.

8th level: Dire Lion - gets the last HD and pounce.