"Lesser" Half-Fiend - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

"Lesser" Half-Fiend

"Lesser" Half-Fiend

I've for along time wanted to play a character concept of a half-fiend paladin, but LA is for a half-fiend template is alittle to much to be playable...so I like some input on how to get the LA lower (more around +2 or +1 instead of the normal +4).
This is a rough draft so far....

Lesser Half-Fiend Template:
“Lesser Half-Fiend” is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or more (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

Size and Type: The creature’s type changes to outsider. Do not recalculate Hit Dice, base attack bonus, or saves. Size is unchanged. Lesser half-fiends are normally native outsiders.

Speed: Lesser half-fiend does not have wings, unless base creature originally has wings, which become bat-like in appearance and uses the base creature’s fly speed and maneuverability.

Armor Class: Natural armor improves by +1 (this stacks with any natural armor bonus the base creature has).

Attack & Full Attack: Lose claw and bite attack.

Special Attack: Lose Smite.

Spell-like Abilities: Lose spell-like abilities.

Special Qualities: A lesser half-fiend has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus the following special qualities.
- Darkvision out to 60 feet.
- Immunity to poison.
- Resistance to acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10, and fire 10.
- Damage reduction: 5/magic (if HD 11 or less) or 10/magic (if HD 12 or more).
- Spell resistance equal to creature’s HD +10 (maximum 35).

Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +4 Dex +4 Con +2 Int +4 Cha +2

Alignment: Any (usually evil)

Level Adjustment: ?

LA +3

Loss of the spell-like abilities is a big drop, loss of smite and bite/claw attacks less so. However, the rest of the half-fiend template is still intact.

Reference the Fiendish template, which carries a +2 LA. Your lesser half-fiend is still more powerful than this.

I also wonder why the Int limit is 4, where the standard for such things is 3. An animal has Int of 1 or 2, but any sentient or senescent creature has 3.

@ DrMorganes: I agree, the template so far is a +3 LA, I'm thinking of nerfing down the damage reduction and spell resistance...but don't believe that will be enough to lower it though...

@ Tzeentch: I'm not sure why the template calls for a Int 4, I just stuck with it from the Monster Manuel...

Ok heres another scale down...most likely going to need another one...
Rough Draft #2 (The '*' represents an area changed from original MM1 template.)

“Lesser Half-Fiend” is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or more (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

Size and Type: The creature’s type changes to outsider. Do not recalculate Hit Dice, base attack bonus, or saves. Size is unchanged. Lesser half-fiends are normally native outsiders.

*Speed: Lesser half-fiend does not have wings, unless base creature originally has wings, which become bat-like in appearance and uses the base creature’s fly speed and maneuverability.

Armor Class: Natural armor improves by +1 (this stacks with any natural armor bonus the base creature has).

*Special Qualities: A lesser half-fiend has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus the following special qualities.
- Immunity to poison.
- Resistance to cold 5 and fire 5 (if HD 11 or less) or cold 10 and fire 10 (if HD 12 or more).
- Damage reduction: 0/- (if HD 3 or less) or 5/magic (if HD 4 thru 11) or 10/magic (if HD 12 or more).

*Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +2 Dex +2 Con +0 Int +2 Cha +0

Level Adjustment: ?

I forgot to add this to the second draft of the template....the lost abilities from first draft (spell-like abilities, Smite, and Claw & Bite Attacks) are also lost in the second draft also.

Hmm... if thats the case why not just be a tiefling? @.@ Seriously, take -all- tiefling stats and make it a "Fiendish/Devil" template; like so.

Darkvision 60 ft.
Fire/Shock/Cold Resistance 5
+2 Int, +2 Dex, -2 Cha. (Though, im against the -2 charisma. As their excuse for this in the MM is their "appearance", while charisma is force of personality. Also, what if your kin to a succubi/eryness? That would be + cha.)
+2 to Bluff and Intimidate checks.
Darkness 1/day (or any other level 1-2 spell. Like, say, burning hands, levitate, charm person, etc. Whatever the base demon had.)

That would come to just +1 la at the max. But you would be sacrificing spell resistance, natural armor and damage reduction. But then again: If your a "lesser" half-fiend, it makes sense.

Sorry for the late response...

I'm really trying for something alittle different then the tiefling race...I'm wanting to knock the half-fiend template down to a +2 LA...to make it more easy as a PC.
Well in other words...one step above the tiefling and two steps away from the half-fiend template...is about what I'm shooting for.

Anyone's thoughts on the second draft's LA or suggestions on how to nerf it down more if still to powerful...

I think you're pretty close, Mr. J. Perhaps toss in a 1/day Darkness?

Alright heres the next rough draft...not much different, but I'm feeling that this is pretty close to what I want. I'm still open to suggestions and ideas...and thanks everyone for the input!
Rough Draft #3

Speed: Lesser half-fiend does not have wings, unless base creature originally has wings, which become bat-like in appearance and uses the base creature’s fly speed and maneuverability.

Spell-like Abilities: Darkness (SP) A lesser half-fiend can use darkness once per day (caster level equal to class levels/+2).

Special Qualities: A lesser half-fiend has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus the following special qualities.
- Immunity to poison.
- Resistance to cold 5 and fire 5 (if HD 11 or less) or cold 10 and fire 10 (if HD 12 or more).
- Damage reduction: 0/- (if HD 3 or less) or 5/magic (if HD 4 thru 11) or 10/magic (if HD 12 or more).

Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +2 Dex +2 Con +0 Int +2 Cha +0

Level Adjustment: +2