Shooting Favoured Soul - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Shooting Favoured Soul

Shooting Favoured Soul

OK so this player had a Healer class but unfortunately whilst she was away the character failed a reflex save against a Gorgon and became a fancy bird toilet.

So basically I'm doing a redux on the healer idea since I dread playing another Healer (they really sucked in battle and were useless as anything other than a walking first aid kit and thus made combats frustrating) and Cleric would confuse the player once she comes back as she lacks playing experience and doesn't like meleé combat very much as proven by her going with Ranger in a previous campaign and healer in this one. We already have a ECL9 fighter with his ECL7 rogue cohort, an ECL9 druid who will be going Nature's Warrior and Master of Many Forms, and I'll be having an ECL9 sorc/wiz that's going Ultra Magus. So that leaves a "proper" divine caster in the party.

The new character is ECL9, Moon Elf Favoured Soul. Deity is Solonor Thelandira since that's the only Deity I can find that has the favoured weapon of longbow. Setting is FR. Alignment is CG. I'm allowed pretty much every sourcebook but ToB and UA.

Stats as level 9:
Str 15
Dex 17
Con 16 (was 15 before 1 point added at 8)
Int 16
Wis 18 (was 17 before 1 point added at 4)
Cha 18

Feats:
1. Point Blank Shot
3. Precise Shot
6. Augment Healing
9. (unsure but maybe augment summoning?)

I've so far given her a cloak of charisma +2 and she has 20 MW arrows from regional (Evereska) bonus equipment. This leaves 32000 for other things. The regional equipment also includes MW chainmail but if something better comes up I think I'm allowed to swap it for 100GP.

I now turn to you fellow weavers to help me at least make this idea somewhat viable even if it means completely re-writing feats/spells/etc.

Thanks in advance.

Recommend swapping out a few of your healing spells for better alternatives:
CLW for Lesser Vigor
CMW for...I can't remember what it's called, but it's cast as an Immediate Action, and is found in Spell Compendium

I'd drop CSW for something else entirely, and consider the same for CCW

I might suggest trying to find some space on a wand or staff, or in your scroll collection, for Lesser Restoration.

Augment Summoning is nice, but only if you're going to be taking a few more good summoning spells. You won't get very far with just SM1 (this would be a good candidate for replacing those higher-level cure spells).

Augment Summoning requires Spell Focus: Conjuration as a prerequisite. The last feat should be Versatile Spellcaster. Extend Spell is better than Augment Healing if you Extend Lesser Vigor or Mass Vigor. I'll let you do the math on that one.

Tendronai wants you to replace Cure Moderate Wounds with Close Wounds.

If you're going to select spells, I recommend you look through the Cleric's handbook. There are better healing/cure/buffing spells. Shield of Faith, for instance, is quite good. Probably better than Summon Monster 1, if you get my drift.

You really shouldn't overdo the amount of healing spells on this character. Having the Favored Soul's spells concentrate too much on the same thing will leave it as a one trick pony with little else to contribute other than being a healbot. The redundancy would bad because it is redundant. It would be like going on and on about how having too many healing spells is horrible because if you have one, you have them all.

Have you considered building her a Shugenja? It doesn't have the suck of dual-stat spellcasting, and it can play blaster and healer at the same time as long as you don't pick fire or water for its elemental focus.

You might want to focus entirely on building her a divine archer and let the healing be secondary. I think its been shown that there is almost always something more useful in battle to do than healing. I second the cleric handbook.

Allow me to be so bold as to propose a build.

Stats:
Note that you don't need a high wisdom score if your spells do not target the other person's saves. That being said, if you do want to focus on Wisdom, you can take Zen Archery and have Wisdom replace Dexterity for attack rolls with ranged weapons.

Feats:
1. Point Blank Shot
3. Precise Shot
6. Rapid Shot
9. Versatile Spellcaster

Spells:
0: cure minor wounds, detect magic, read magic, light, mending, purify food and drink, create water, detect poison.
1: lesser vigor, obscuring mist, shield of faith, entropic shield, divine favour, ebon eyes.
2: hold person, lesser restoration, healing lorecall, resist energy, close wounds.
3: mass lesser vigor, mass conviction, dispel magic, magic vestment.
4: deathward, divine power, greater magic weapon
Note: Protection from Negative Energy is a level 3 cleric spell according to Libris Mortis, I believe. You cannot have it in a level 2 slot as you did, so I replaced it with Healing Lorecall. Also, pick up Freedom of Movement at some point - it's a great spell for getting out of sticky situations. Divine Agility, from the SpC, is a 5th level cleric spell that grants a +10 enhancement bonus to Dexterity - quite a compelling argument for becoming a Dexterity based archer.

The spells in this spell list are designed with buffing, healing, defense, and archery in mind. Obscuring Mist and Entropic Shield help you avoid ranged attacks. Divine Power boosts your base attack bonus and strength, while Greater Magic Weapon allows you to have a +1 bow with various special weapon properties on it and still have a higher enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls.

Items:
Amulet of Health +2, 4000
Gloves of Dexterity +2, 4000
Vest of Resistance +2, 4000
Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend Spell, 3000 - Use this on Lesser Vigor and Mass Lesser Vigor. Get multiple if necessary.
Bow of the Wintermoon, 3400, [Magic Item Compendium Pg. 48]

Enhancments for the bow:
Seeking (+1 price) [Player's Handbook]
Force (+2 price) [Magic Item Compendium Pg. 35]

Splitting (+3 price) [Champions of Ruin Pg. 42]

Holy (+2 price) [Player's Handbook]
Collision (+2 price) [Expanded Psionics Handbook]

Thanks for the fast and helpful advice. Bookmarked the Cleric's handbook. I'll work on this advice after I've had a shower. Ugh hot weather making me all headachy and hayfevery.

Shugenja might be a bit difficult to work into a campaign based in Cormyr..... maybe if it was closer to the east I might have gotten away with it, but I think the DM might demand an Illiad equivalent backstory for how and why you have an Asian wandering around in the middle of Abir Toril's rough equivalent of Medieval Europe. Don't think they have any deities that focus on longbow either.

My 12th level attribute point was going to go to Dex but I wanted to even out the stats and thus get an extra bonus. I'm a nightmare for odd numbered stats and can't stand them unless they're dump probably because of my condition, which often gets confused for OCD.

So I can forget about expanding Wis and focus on Dex instead. Got Cha up to 20 with the Cloak of Charisma +2 (more spells per day and you can never have too many spells to cast especially with our party's shitty rolling) and can probably expand on that one later once we get more moolah, which isn't hard given that some of our party like shinies and will take anything that isn't attached with sovereign glue.

But seriously thanks for helping this character not suck horse manure. I'm not good with divine types and prefer rogue or an arcane caster. Oh gods I haven't even started on her yet.

Just follow the instruction in my handy sorcerer handbook if you need a sorcerer. For example, this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
Just follow the instruction in my handy sorcerer handbook if you need a sorcerer. For example, this one.
Thanks. I'm going Ultimate Magus (Comp. Mage page 77) for that one. Sorcerer spells will be attack spells and Wizard spells will be utility spells. Yes it may be bordering on MAD but I noticed that all the arcane spellcasting Deities (like Mystra and Azuth as two examples) have 20 levels in Wizard and 20 levels in Sorcerer as well as others.

Oh forgot to add my skills:
Max ranks = 12 for class skills and all of these are class skills

Concentration: max
Diplomacy: max
Heal: max
Jump: max
Sense Motive: max

Knowledge Arcana and Spellcraft will be left to the Ultimate Magus as they could max them and thus do them far better.