Newbie DM: FR or Eberron - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Newbie DM: FR or Eberron

Ah but Rune, if one has to be changed (and changed fairly heavily) to suit his needs, and one does not clearly the latter is the better choice for what he wants. Especially since as a new DM, changing an existing campaign can actually prove more daunting than making up your own.

I can't comment either way about Farlandworld. Not familiar at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Well it's just about the only pro FR case. Little else to debate. Does it actually say anywhere Fang dragons are FR exclusive?
Yes, yes it does.

Pages 143-144 of the Draconomicon lists all the varieties of dragon and their LA, Racial HD, and the age they reach it at.

You've got the standard Red, Black, Silver, Gold on P143, then on p144, you get the other varieties. Gem (Sapphire, Crystal, Emerald, Amethyst and Topaz), Lung (Yu Lung, Pan Lung, Li Lung), Planar (Ethereal, Battle, Chaos, Oceanus, Radiant), Fiendish (Styx, Rust, Pyroclastic, Tarterian, Howling), and finally Faerunain Dragons (Shadow, Song, Deep, Brown and Fang).

I mean, there's nothing really exclusive in D&D, but they're about as exclusive to FR as Warforged are to Ebr.

Also, I'm curious as to what makes you think Warforged are muchkiny?

Ask Farland!

Send him a PM, he's a very approachable guy.

Or scroll down the main page to the Farland forum and post questions there. If nothing else they can give you some important links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzeentch View Post
I mean, there's nothing really exclusive in D&D, but they're about as exclusive to FR as Warforged are to Ebr.

Also, I'm curious as to what makes you think Warforged are muchkiny?
Warforged are listed in both MM3 and Races of Eberron (which is supposed to be used outside of Eberron... oddly enough.)

I dunno how munchy Warforged are... they can do Munchkinny things, but they'd be substandard if they couldn't, every race has a schtick...

I'd say the most munchy things about Warforged are that they don't need to sleep and their Living Construct immunities, and that they don't need to breath...

Memorable encounter with Warforged Fighter on our side... we were fighting an Otyugh that had just... ummm, violently erupted from a latrine. Afterwards we're like, "That kinda sucked... wonder if that thing had any treasure..." and we looked around and the Warforged is like, "I don't need to breath" and we're like, "Well, then get swimming."

The DM was disgusted and appalled, and awarded us with some poor fellow having dropped his wedding ring down the hole after a visit to the loo, so we got a gold ring out of it! (If I remember right, we made him climb back out on his own, as we didn't want to have to burn the rope afterwards.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCoLD View Post
Warforged are listed in both MM3 and Races of Eberron (which is supposed to be used outside of Eberron... oddly enough.)
MM3 was really a Campaign Setting Monster Manual. It was the the first one to have the "X in Eberron" & "X in Faerun" blocks. It was also the first one released after Ebr.

Quote:
I'd say the most munchy things about Warforged are that they don't need to sleep and their Living Construct immunities, and that they don't need to breath...
Yeah, they get that, but they don't heal lethal damage naturally, they only get 1/2 effect from healing spells, they can be hit by both spells which target living creatures (harm) and those that target construct (disable construct), they're vulnerable to heat/chill metal, they can be repelled by something as repel metal repel stone, or repel wood, they're vulnerable to rusting grasp, and they have 2 ability penalties.

Compare that to their advantages, poison, sleep, paralysis, & energy drain immunities, they don't lose HP when they're in negative HP, no breathing, no eating, no sleep, but they still need to rest to prepare spells, light fortification and a slam attack.

So their list of disadvantages seems to outweigh their advantages.

Yeah, the 'forged aren't really over the top. In fact they pretty much have to buddy up to an artificer just to be usable. Course with that, they work great.

What bums me the most about warforged is the inability to wear armor.

Doesn't seem right that you have to blow a feat to get what other races can buy.

It's basically foregoing a later advantage for an early one. Kinda like Toughness. And like Toughness, it sucks as a result. At least you don't have to give up magic properties, though it seems you have to craft them which means some DMs will screw you. Depends on if you have a DM who isn't afraid to let the PCs have the gear they're supposed to.