The Marshwiggles - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

The Marshwiggles

The Marshwiggles

OK, I am a big fan of the Chronicles of Narnia, and I have been thinking about the Silver Chair and Puddleglum a fair amount recently, so I decided to stat up Marshwiggles as a playable race. Here's what I've got for it, anyone see any improvements?

Marshwiggle
Medium Humanoid (Amphibious)
Move 30, Swim 30. Although Marshwiggles, being amphibious, are slightly awkward on land, their exceptionally long limbs allow them to cover ground just as quickly as humans and so forth.
Dex +2, Wis +2, Cha -4. Marshwiggles are very nimble, and possess a good deal of wisdom, but their 'doom and gloom' mentality puts them strongly at odds with other creatures.
Low-Light Vision: Marshwiggles can see twice as far as normal humans in situations with a limited amount of light, such as a starry sky, or from a torch.
+1 Natural armor. Marshwiggles have tough, leathery skin that is slightly more difficult to overcome than human skin.
Marshwiggles are very difficult to affect mentally. All Marshwiggles receive a +4 racial bonus on saving throws against enchantments and mind affecting effects.
Due to the inhospitable marsh environment, strong swampy drinks and their unique tobacco mixed with mud, marshwiggles have developed a resistance to things which could prove deadly to other races. They receive a +2 racial bonus on saves versus poisons and diseases.
With their slippery skin and awkward anatomy, marshwiggles gain a +2 bonus on escape artist checks
The long froglike legs of the marshwiggle are deceptively strong, granting a +4 bonus on jump checks.
Proficiencies: All Marshwiggles are avid eelfishers and mudfishers. They are automatically proficient with Short Bows, and treat the Net as a simple weapon, rather than an exotic weapon.
Water Breathing (Ex): All Marshwiggles can breath underwater indefinitely, and can also breathe air on land without penalty.
Slogging (Ex): When traveling overland through marshes, marshwiggles can ignore certain types of difficult terrain. A marshwiggle can move at full speed in shallow bogs and marsh undergrowth.
Favored Class: Druid
Level Adjustment: +1

Marshwiggles are an odd looking race, they appear as tall humans at first glance, though a closer look reveals several differences. The webbing on their hands and feet is much more pronounced than with humans, to allow them easier swimming, and, while they are taller than most humans, the majority of that height is found in their legs. When sitting, or otherwise deprived of the length of their legs to their height, they are no taller than a Dwarf would be in the same situation. Their arms are also proportionately long.

However, Marshwiggles have one quality that makes them incredibly difficult to get along with. Every single one of them is pessimistic to the extreme, believing that nothing but the worst will come out of any situation. They will give their best, but they never expect anything good will come of whatever they try, nor do they expect any appreciation for what they do. If it is given, they shrug it off nonchalantly, without accepting that they accomplished something good.

I love marshwiggles, this sounds awesome.

Hmm... I would penalize them in diplomacy with other races. That doom and gloom doesn't make friends.
I'd also give them a bonus in grapple, those long limbs should help in those situations.
Oooh, or you could let them use any melee weapon as having an additional 5 foot reach.

+1 LA sounds about right. The one trouble is that I've met lots of players who totally ignore the creator's description of the typical racial personality, saying "mine is just different" or "it's boring to play somebody who's like everybody else." Not that you should leave it out -- just, maybe, prepare to be disappointed at what some people do to your creation.

OYG, its years since I thought about marshwiggles... man, I loved Puddleglum... he was so... upliftingly depressing. It was impossible not to feel perky by comparison.

Although I don't remember the water breathing thing... I'd have thought that Hold Breath would make more sense.

Interestingly depressing: I think pulling off Puddleglum-style gloominess might be more difficult than it looks.

Yeah, I'd certainly mess up, and make a complete fool of myself. Better to just give up now.

Nah, don't give up. Practice makes perfect. I might like to try one someday, and expect it would take a while to get the 'voice' I wanted.

Actually, I was practicing. Might be fin to try playing one someday. I'd have to read the Silver Chair again, and I've got plenty of other books lined up before that happens.

Too subtle for me, but I'd say you're starting out better than I would. I'm looking forward to a Silver Chair movie, but that'll probably be quite a while. No idea who I'd pick for Puddleglum.

I never bothered watching the first movie. I might get around to it eventually.

And you're right, Marshwiggles would have to lay it on thicker.