Monster Evaluation - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Monster Evaluation

Monster Evaluation

I've designed a monster to act as a main boss for my group. I have 6 characters who I expect will be around 12th level when they face this creature. The monster is modeled after Anima from Final Fantasy, Ive included a good picture I found on google so you can get a picture of it. The fight will occur in a circular room of radius 30ft. with Anima centered at the middle. All of the players will be in the room when Anima arrives. They only see the upper half at first, and after they defeat it, a circular portion of the floor rises, revealing the second half. During this time, the outer-most squares fall out. Note that Anima can never move.

Anima (Chained)
Gargantuan Aberration (Chaos)
Hit Dice: 20d8+200 (290)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 0 ft
Armor Class: 28 (-4 size,+22 natural) “Flat Footed”
B.A./Grapple: +15/+28
Attack: -
Full Attack: -
Space/Reach: 20ft/0ft
Special Attacks: Spell-Like Abilities, Tormenting Gaze, Pain, Chains of Sorrow, Full Gaze
Special Qualities: Frightful Presence, Spell Resistance 20, Damage Reduction 15/magic or lawful
Saves: Fort +20, Ref +10, Will +17
Abilities: Str 36, Dex 10, Con 30, Int 24, Wis 24, Cha 18
Skills:
Feats: Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (Claws) & (Bite), Power Attack, Awesome Blow, Snatch, Improved Critical (Claws)

10th Level Caster: Anima is considered a 10th level caster
Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): Unlimited (Greater Dispel Magic, Truesight) 3/day (Confusion DC 20, Hold Monster DC 20)
Tormenting Gaze (Ex): Gaze; At the beginning of every round, players take DC 20 Will or be sickened for 1 round.
Pain (Ex): Deals 5d6 damage +1/10 of the damage Anima has taken to target creature within 60 ft. Target must pass a DC 20 Will save or be paralyzed for 1 round.
Chains of Sorrow (Ex): The two chains lying beside Anima rise and entangle a target, then over the next 2 turns, raise them to meet Anima’s gaze. Range 60 ft, requires successful ranged attack roll vs. target (touch AC). If successful the target is completely entangled and their distance from Anima is halved. An escape artist check DC 22 releases or if Anima takes 50 points of damage. The next turn the remaining distance is halved again, and the target is lifted 10 ft above ground. One more turn later the target is brought face to face with Anima, triggering Full Gaze.
Full Gaze (Ex): Anima’s second eye reveals itself for an instant while the enchained target is forced to look. The target screams in agony as they feel horrible sorrow and pain unimaginable. The target must pass a DC30 will save or die.
Frightful Presence: DC 20 Will or be paralyzed for 1d4 rounds in fear upon first sighting.

Anima (Unchained)
Gargantuan Aberration (Chaos)
Hit Dice: 20d8+200 (290)
Initiative: +9
Speed: 0 ft
Armor Class: 26 (-4 size, +15 natural, +5 Dex)
B.A./Grapple: +15/+28
Attack: Claw +28 (2d8+13, 19-20/x2) or Gore +28 (2d8+13) or Bite +28 (4d6+13)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +28 (2d8+13, 19-20/x2), Gore +28 (2d8+13), Bite +28 (4d6+13)
Space/Reach: 20ft/15ft (/w Claws), 10ft (/w Gore), 5ft (/w Bite)
Special Attacks: Spell-Like Abilities, Awesome Blow, Snatch, Consume Suffering
Special Qualities: Frightful Presence, Spell Resistance 20, Damage Reduction 15/magic or lawful
Saves: Fort +20, Ref +15, Will +17
Abilities: Str 36, Dex 20, Con 30, Int 24, Wis 24, Cha 18
Skills:
Feats: Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (Claws) & (Bite), Power Attack, Awesome Blow, Snatch, Improved Critical (Claws)

10th Level Caster: Anima is considered a 10th level caster
Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): Unlimited (Greater Dispel Magic, Truesight) 3/day (Confusion DC 20, Hold Monster DC 20)
Awesome Blow: Makes a claw attack at -4 to hit, target must make Reflex check (DC = damage) or fly 10 ft and fall prone.
Snatch: After a Claw attack, Anima may grapple the target. If successful the target takes claw damage every round. Can fling held creature 1d6x10ft, dealing 1d6 damage for every 10ft traveled. Anima may have two creatures held at once. Creatures can attempt an escape artist check DC 25 or a grapple check to free themselves each round.
Consume Suffering (Ex): Anima brings a snatched creature to its face and feeds off of and amplifies the creature’s pain. The creature must pass a Will save (DC=damage target has taken) or suffer damage equal to half the total damage they have taken. Anima gains HP equal to the damage dealt.
Rip (Ex): Anima brings a creature to its mouth and bites and tears it. Anima makes a bite attack, though the held target is considered flat-footed, if successful the held creature takes Bite damage and 4d6 slashing damage. A creature killed in this manner is ripped in half.
Frightful Presence: DC 20 Will or be paralyzed for 1d4 rounds in fear upon first sighting.

So thats it. Please comment on if you think hes too powerful, or the encounter will be impossible (or too easy). My players are pretty powerful for their level, though I haven't given out treasure or exp much. 3 are power gamers. There is a duskblade, able to deal out massive damage, a thief that does average damage, a shapeshifter druid able to do tons of damage and reheal constantly, a monk that just recently got an insane number of attacks with good damage, a wizard that focused on summoning and can transform into big creatures too, and a ranger that does good damage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Final_Fantasy_X__s_Anima_by_Brazilian_Ninja.jpg (35.1 KB, 0 views)

Well, first thing that leaps to mind is that I always thought of Aeons as Outsiders.

Also, making him flat footed all the time will weaken him considerably, especially if there is something like sneak attack on the field.

Also, being able to use greater dispel magic at will is a very powerful ability, especially considering that the team is a ranger, duskblade, druid and wizard. 2 full casters and 2 partial casters. So your casters can use all their spells, and he can just keep dispelling them.

Paralysing gaze every round? Thats way too much. Every 1d6 rounds maybe, but every round just seems like too much.

And an instant kill with no save is way too much, I mean, I've played every class there before now and I can say 100% that escape artist was not high on my list of priorities for their skills. Anima was good, but not that good.

Finally, what is tear damage?

Definitely have to agree about escape artist. I'm not sure how much damage your players do, that 50 damage might be easy enough for them to stop it, but if not I'd let them attack the chain. It forces them to give up a round of damaging Anima to free the person quickly.

Chains of sorrow hardly seems overpowered, considering the players have two full rounds to free him. Ill add that they can attack the chains to free the held character, but what damage required and hardness for the chains would be appropriate. Ill reduce escape artist to 22. Lastly ill add a DC30 will check to save against the death.

Tormenting Gaze changed to cause 1 round of sickness instead.

Tear damage is slashing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_Buddha View Post
Chains of sorrow hardly seems overpowered, considering the players have two full rounds to free him. Ill add that they can attack the chains to free the held character, but what damage required and hardness for the chains would be appropriate. Ill reduce escape artist to 22. Lastly ill add a DC30 will check to save against the death.
Much better, at least now they stand a chance if they can't escape and their allies have some bad luck.

Quote:
Tormenting Gaze changed to cause 1 round of sickness instead.
Also much better, paralysis every round could completely cripple an unlucky character, but sickened is still a penalty without being too crippling.

Quote:
Tear damage is slashing.
Thought as much, but I wasn't sure.

Isn't DC 30 kinda high for level 12? Yeah, I'm sure I could pimp out a character to have a high to assured chance of making it, but normal characters, or even just strong ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzeentch View Post
Anima is supposed to be very powerful. If used well, Anima was absolutely unassailable.
Yes, but being used against a level 12 party... DC 30 saves imply level 18-20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Yes, but being used against a level 12 party... DC 30 saves imply level 18-20.
But that's DC 30, with at least 2 rounds where escape artist can be used, or where the other members of the team can inflict 50 damage or attack the chains to get the person who is being brought to the effect free. So its not as unbalanced as it seemed, especially with 3 power gamers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzeentch View Post
But that's DC 30, with at least 2 rounds where escape artist can be used, or where the other members of the team can inflict 50 damage or attack the chains to get the person who is being brought to the effect free. So its not as unbalanced as it seemed, especially with 3 power gamers.
Oh, I missed the 50 damage part. That's easy then.