Floating Fortresses - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Floating Fortresses

Oh, Gods, he's making the deathtraps even more deadly. I'm relieved we don't have bluesilver in the real world.

You want to switch from bludgeoning damage to piercing now? Well, the force of impact would be centralized on single points, rather than the entire surface. Just how much more damage that force does would be more a decision of how much you want the ground force to have to do to be able to just barely survive it, I think.

Add adamantine armor spikes to the bottom of the castle.

I'd also suggest that this is more than a simple fall. This is an attack. Strength comes into play. Maybe give it a point of strength for every 2 tons of castle, just to not be completely disgusting. You're still doing to be inflicting 20d6+75+3d8 or something equally squashworthy.

Well, if you take the following rule:

Flying creatures cannot fly if carrying more than a medium load.

and treat the castle's bluesilver lift ring as said creature, then for a 200-ton (very light construction, really) castle, it needs to carry 800,000 lb as medium maximum.

800,000 / (4^6) = 195.3125
Referencing the carrying capacity chart, we see that 18 Str barely tops out at 200 lb medium carrying. We add 10 points for each x4, but subtract 2 from the power because it is a Colossal creature and thus gains x16 from size. This leaves us with 4^4, which is 40 points.

In other words, strictly speaking, the castle has a minimum of 58 Str. Which is a +24 modifier.

This should be considered an area attack, but I'm not sure how the hell anyone could justify a Reflex save for half damage, or how the monk/rogue can possibly Improved Evasion across dozens of yards in order to dodge a castle falling on him. If it's treated as an attack roll against everyone in the impact area, then we can see the attack bonus is at +16 (+24 str, -8 size). This means we'll end up somehow MISSING people under the bottom... which is equally difficult to justify.

Just rule that anyone caught beneath it cannot evade at all unless they're within their speed (or doubled, tripled, whatever works for the size of it) of an edge? Or increase the reflex DC for every five feet they are from an edge?
Certainly no one right in the middle should have a chance to evade, but the people at the edge could have a chance to move.

That's a good idea. A nice +2 per 5 ft to an edge (to which they're pushed) sounds like a decent idea. In addition to dealing damage, it should probably force prone and then cause suffocation afterwards if it stays in the spot.

Good to know I don't need to figure out the mechanics of a 200-ton flying castle and whether or not you can sneak attack with it if a rogue is operating the controls. After all, you can catch people flat-footed with a flying castle if it's a foggy day and you fall out of the sky 400 feet up.

Sounds fair to me. At least a few people might survive this deathtrap of yours.
Now I'm picturing some panic-stricken soldier diving twenty or thirty feet to safety. It has a nice sense of accomplishment to it.

This of course brings up the other issue: How does one keep the occupants of said castle from going squish just like everyone else? I'm tempted by one of these solutions.

1) Just the BOTTOM of the castle falls off. The castle comes back, docks with it, and picks it off of the pinkish flat ground afterwards.

2) Reverse gravity in a pulse, to fall "up" exactly enough to not hit the floor. Hard.

3) Great big columns for crash webbings.

I like dropping the bottom. It would reduce the damage, though.

Crash webbing along with suspension in a fluid should do it, but then you'd need either individual tanks or a couple big communal ones that people strap themselves into, hopefully with a snorkel.

As for evasion I'd say that it's possible they could find a pocket of some sort or a depression in the ground, making it feasable, though unlikely to make the reflex save.

I'd say that rather than droping castles on people, make them large weights that are attached via a chain to the castle proper that can be dropped then reeled bck in.

The weights idea is a good one. Would they be big rocks with chains on them?

The reeling back poses the problem that intrepid PCs may ride the chains back into the castle and start invading it. :P