How to model an inability to reveal a certain truth - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

How to model an inability to reveal a certain truth

Without knowing the nature of the secret, I can't really comment on that assessment directly.

In any situation where the character could benefit from revealing the secret, it's a disadvantage.
In any situation where the character might be coerced (or forced, or manipulated, etc.) into revealing the secret, and the secret would be damaging to them if discovered, then it's actually advantageous to be entirely unable to reveal it.

How those two factors balance out depends entirely on the nature of the secret and the likely consequences of its discovery.

Using GURPS the best way to set up this is either a vow.(I am not allowed to tell you my secret). Or actually a secret. (I don't wanly you to know my secret.)

Just by the title, inability to reveal a certain truth. That sounds like a duty. So you could model it as duty to one person.

There are many ways to do it. Give some more details and we can help out.

most likely you will have to use certain limitations to enhance a disadvantage to get what you want.

I don't want to give out complete details since I'm planning on using this on a character in MW.
However from a practical standpoint, the character is knowledgeable about most of the unusual/supernatural/hidden things about the game world (if not in detail), and the game world is similar to a Wierd IOU campaign (Genocide's device Ninja Academy to be specific).

Considering the game world, the likelyhood of someone actually trying to get information from my character by simply asking instead of using mind reading/divination spells is slim, while the chances of him needing to convey the information to prevent discomfort to himself and others or even to prevent serious harm is considerably high.

I've spent alot of time considering Involuntary Duty, but it doesn't seem to fit.
For the first thing, there is no "frequency of appearance" (even if we take it to mean always on duty), there's no activity involved, and it definitely has no "hazardous" traits that can be assigned to it.
Can you explain how Duty would work with this, in your opinion?

The information is hidden, you have a duty to keep it that way. You are always trying, and will try your best to prevent it from getting out. this would be an always on, the hazard my not be to you but to others.

Point in fact Fizban the Fabulous. Knew a lot more than he was telling. But said nothing out of a duty to the rules. Anyone who knows who he is knows why.

I'm not sure that fits what has been described.
With that Duty, for instance, the character would be required to attempt to prevent others from revealing the information, whereas, as described, the character could, if they so chose, directly encourage or indirectly assist another individual to reveal the information, so long as they were not actually directly involved in the revelation, themselves.

metaphorically, speaking, they could buy the fireworks, set them up, tell someone to light the fuses, and then sit back and watch, but couldn't light the fuses themselves

not really. You could set things up so that others figure it out themselves. If you wanted to. But they did not find out from you, so it does not go against your duty to not divulge the information. Telling someone where to buy the fireworks, and help them set them up. If they light the fuse, you did not. Just how you interpret the duty. The information you know is not for other's ears. But leading them to the library that has all that information is ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverthorne View Post
not really. You could set things up so that others figure it out themselves. If you wanted to. But they did not find out from you, so it does not go against your duty to not divulge the information. Telling someone where to buy the fireworks, and help them set them up. If they light the fuse, you did not. Just how you interpret the duty. The information you know is not for other's ears. But leading them to the library that has all that information is ok.

My point being that that's distinct from:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverthorne View Post
The information is hidden, you have a duty to keep it that way. You are always trying, and will try your best to prevent it from getting out.

I would think that it would not be worth any points (or maybe -1 at most) if I am understanding you correctly. There would be no difference between this character with the inability to share a bit of information and another character who does not have that information to share... except to note that this character himself has the information and can act on it. In a way, that is a slight advantage over the person who doesn't know it.

The only way I would think that it could be worth more than -1 points (if that) would be if there was a way for him to get the information out (accidentally, under stress, under hypnosis, whatever) and if there would be consequences for him should he do so. In this case, I would base the value on the consequences... and swap out the secret for whatever disadvantage follows for actually sharing the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
I would think that it would not be worth any points (or maybe -1 at most) if I am understanding you correctly. There would be no difference between this character with the inability to share a bit of information and another character who does not have that information to share... except to note that this character himself has the information and can act on it. In a way, that is a slight advantage over the person who doesn't know it.

The only way I would think that it could be worth more than -1 points (if that) would be if there was a way for him to get the information out (accidentally, under stress, under hypnosis, whatever) and if there would be consequences for him should he do so. In this case, I would base the value on the consequences... and swap out the secret for whatever disadvantage follows for actually sharing the information.
Definitely not true. Once the person who does not have the information discovers said information, he/she is able to relate it. However, having said information appears to be something that is roleplayed, and not mechanically relevant at character creation. Thus, only the penalty would apply.