No! Bad Disney! Not Yours! - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

No! Bad Disney! Not Yours!

I'm sure they'll probably keep the WotC brand around, at least for a while, but it's still a scary thought lol!

Honestly, my biggest concern would be over the prospects of the OGL. by changing hands, there's the very real possibility (albeit likely a very small, but still possible) of changing the OGL to the point where it's practically useless. Disney is quite fairly known for being rather stingy, even more so than WotC's litigious bent.

Aslo, Hasbro is technically a game company that happens to also produce toys, so it's not a far stretch to own a brand such as D&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dystmesis View Post
Disney can't do anything to change the terms of the open game license...
Why not exactly? Disney can pretty much pass copyright laws on it's own, what's a little license got that the entire US legislature doesn't. Not to say that the legislature is particularly impressive, just that it's rather large, and (technically) not owned by Disney. I honestly don't know much about the open game license, but this is Disney we're talking about so I can't help but be a bit cynical.

I think the keyword in the OGL is "perpetual".

I doubt Disney will interfere more in WotC than Hasbro.

I agree. Hasbro has been pretty hands off with WotC and for good reason. One, they are well aware that they don't know that side of the industry all that well, and two, WotC is one of their better money making divisions (or so I've been told by folks who pay a lot more attention to that than I do) so why interfere? Disney may be more profitable than Hasbro (duh) but they also have a corporate history of remaining hands off. Seen any Mickey Mouse guest spots in Marvel comics lately? Or Disney princesses on ESPN? So while you may well see Transformers at Disneyland, you won't see Mickey Mouse in MtG.

Just saying: Look at WotC, they don't know what they're doing on that side of the industry either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbender View Post
They're not doing that bad with 5e.
Agreed. They're actually doing a quite capable job with 5e. I've actually been thoroughly impressed with what they've done so far. Sure they still have a lot of work to do, and a lot of adjustments to make with what's come forth so far, but that's all part of the process, and I'm willing to bet that when it's all said and done, it will quite possibly have to potential to give the 3/3.5 versions a run for their money.

I personally can't wait to see Maleficent and Ursula statted

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1701 View Post
Seen any Mickey Mouse guest spots in Marvel comics lately?

See, when you encourage people to go looking, you find stuff like this: