arcane shuffle - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

World of Farland

A world conquered by evil and ruled by the Lords of Sin; A unique campaign setting designed to be used with all editions of D&D.

arcane shuffle

Arcane Shuffle

So here's the proposed spell, created by Valanduil:

Arcane Shuffle
Universal
Level: Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: 0 ft.
Target: 20 spellbook pages per level
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell reorganizes spells in a wizard's spellbook(s). A wizard casting this spell must write his or her spells in the desired order on a sheet of parchment. This serves as the material component. The cost of a sheet of parchment is 2sp. All spells to be reorganized must be known by the wizard (i.e. if the wizard needs to make a spellcraft check to memorize any of the spells, the spell fails.) This spell can be used to organize spells across multiple spellbooks up to a total of 20 pages per level.

It is mostly a flavor/realism spell. What do you think? Is it abusable in any reasonable way?

This is rather ok.... but it CAN be abused in one way.

Wizard takes someone else's spellbook for 10 minutes, shifts out all the attack spells that he can shift out and shifts in all the useless spells. He then physically copies back the spells he 'lost' if he still wants them.

This would leave a poor wizard with a book full of wierd spells and the PC with attack spells which would kinda screw the other wizard ahead of an arcane battle...

In conclusion, it allows a player to screw with another wizards spell book, even if it doesn't allow copying of unknown spells, it can deny use of spells for other wizards given 10 minutes of spare time with a spellbook.

This is rather ok.... but it CAN be abused in one way.

Wizard takes someone else's spellbook for 10 minutes, shifts out all the attack spells that he can shift out and shifts in all the useless spells. He then physically copies back the spells he 'lost' if he still wants them.

This would leave a poor wizard with a book full of wierd spells and the PC with attack spells which would kinda screw the other wizard ahead of an arcane battle...

In conclusion, it allows a player to screw with another wizards spell book, even if it doesn't allow copying of unknown spells, it can deny use of spells for other wizards given 10 minutes of spare time with a spellbook.

JJeff, thanks for the input. If you get another wizard's spellbook you have to make spellcraft checks to know the spell in order to memorize or cast them, right? That's my reading of the magic section in PHB. I was trying to offset this problem by putting in this line "(i.e. if the wizard needs to make a spellcraft check to memorize any of the spells, the spell fails.)" Obviously you don't think that's sufficient, right? Why not? Can you suggest how to prevent this problem if you don't think this will prohibit this abuse?

JJeff, thanks for the input. If you get another wizard's spellbook you have to make spellcraft checks to know the spell in order to memorize or cast them, right? That's my reading of the magic section in PHB. I was trying to offset this problem by putting in this line "(i.e. if the wizard needs to make a spellcraft check to memorize any of the spells, the spell fails.)" Obviously you don't think that's sufficient, right? Why not? Can you suggest how to prevent this problem if you don't think this will prohibit this abuse?

I was basing it more on the "must be known by the wizard" rather than the "needs to make a spellcraft check to memorize any of the spells"

Can you word it such that it is "The books being targettied by this spell must all be owned by the caster" ?

I was basing it more on the "must be known by the wizard" rather than the "needs to make a spellcraft check to memorize any of the spells"

Can you word it such that it is "The books being targettied by this spell must all be owned by the caster" ?

JJeff, thanks again for the input. I added that line you suggested. I agree I think that helps protect the spell from abuse.

Arcane Shuffle
Universal

This spell reorganizes spells in a wizard's spellbook(s). A wizard casting this spell must write his or her spells in the desired order on a sheet of parchment. This serves as the material component. The cost of a sheet of parchment is 2sp. All spells to be reorganized must be known by the wizard (i.e. if the wizard needs to make a spellcraft check to memorize any of the spells, the spell fails.) The books being targeted by this spell must all be owned by the caster. This spell can be used to organize spells across multiple spellbooks up to a total of 20 pages per level.

JJeff, thanks again for the input. I added that line you suggested. I agree I think that helps protect the spell from abuse.

Arcane Shuffle
Universal

This spell reorganizes spells in a wizard's spellbook(s). A wizard casting this spell must write his or her spells in the desired order on a sheet of parchment. This serves as the material component. The cost of a sheet of parchment is 2sp. All spells to be reorganized must be known by the wizard (i.e. if the wizard needs to make a spellcraft check to memorize any of the spells, the spell fails.) The books being targeted by this spell must all be owned by the caster. This spell can be used to organize spells across multiple spellbooks up to a total of 20 pages per level.

I would just like to thank you for making a low level utility spell.

In worlds where people can do use low level magic pretty easily, there just doesn't seem to be enough utility spells...

EDIT
To clarify, this totally has my seal of approval.