Skill Focus - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Skill Focus

Skill Focus

Hey folks.

Can you purchase Skill Focus as a feat, but pick a skill that your character doesn't have listed in his list of trained skills? If so, would you consider it a trained skill then?

As a DM, I would not even allow a character to pick skill focus for a skill he has no rank with/is not trained in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
As a DM, I would not even allow a character to pick skill focus for a skill he has no rank with/is not trained in.
Which would be a houserule; Skill Focus doesn't have any prerequisites.

And while houseruling something is completely fine - I wonder why you'd rule that way ?

Skill Focus on a character without ranks in that skill would be a very fine example of someone having a knack, a natural ability, for that skill even if he hasn't trained it.

Seriously, if I were DMing that player, I'd tell them to just take Open Minded, which, while being strictly superior to Skill Focus in this situation (if the skill in question is available as a class skill), is still far from being 'over-powered'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
Seriously, if I were DMing that player, I'd tell them to just take Open Minded, which, while being strictly superior to Skill Focus in this situation (if the skill in question is available as a class skill), is still far from being 'over-powered'
Open Minded is a Psionic Feat, which means it is only available to Psionic Characters. Very unlikely to be an option in most characters. Many campaigns do not allow Psionic characters at all.

Open Minded is a General feat, which happened to be printed in the EPH, as well as one or two other books, iirc.
Quote:
Open Minded [General]

You are naturally able to reroute your memory, mind, and skill expertise.
(bolding added)

Quote:
as well as one or two other books, iirc.
Complete Adventurer, p.111

Quote:
Open Minded is a General feat,
Then if you are going to provide links, you should probably provide links that prove your point instead of disproving it because the link you provided said otherwise.

The link I provided clearly noted Open Minded as a 'General' feat.
The quote I subsequently provided I did so directly from said link.