Best use for this artifact? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Best use for this artifact?

Best use for this artifact?

This is a simple golden cube a little over a foot on each side. The top and bottom halves turn slowly with relation to each other. That's it.

..More specifically, there's no way to stop the turning, effectively making this an engine with limitless torque generation potential. (Some may have already recognized this as an Axle from Discworld) My character is a level 10 artificer in Eberron; the artifact is a bit of a gift from the DM, since we had a session on my birthday. We found it in the basement of a semi-active volcano, running the pump room that kept the bottom of the crater free of lava.

I could Retain Essence on it for a likely huge amount of xp, but I'd rather find a crafty use for it. Thoughts?

If you fit very large cogs over one cube while fixing the other in place, this becomes great for mills, chain driven engines, etc.

Create a massive pump to drain a lake (the better to kill off the kraken within)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
If you fit very large cogs over one cube while fixing the other in place, this becomes great for mills, chain driven engines, etc.

Create a massive pump to drain a lake (the better to kill off the kraken within)?
Amen to that.

Man, if I had one of these I'd totally put it between Walls of Force and see what happens...

In any case, use it to power machinery like above. With infinite torque, having it turn a very large gear/cog which turns a very small one can make powerful, extremely fast machinery. Like... some kind of jackhammer lance!

Heh, funny you should mention that. It was actually running the pump room that kept the crater of a semi-active volcan free of lava while a group of demons excavated the center when we found it. No, it doesn't float in midair.

My DM has intimated that I should find something more creative to do with it than power a large vehicle, but is vague on what exactly he's expecting. The best idea I've had so far is to craft whatever it is using a Sculpted, Permanencied force effect to make the requisite parts, so that they can stand up to the stress. Adamantine might also work.

Going off of Tim's idea with a way to make a small cog spin at high speeds, connect the stabalized portion to a hat then apply the small cog to the left and right. Attached to the small cogs a wheel holding on to something such as to creat a flail that rotates automatically at high speeds. This should allow you to have a defense versus flanking along with the ability to plow down walls. If nothing else, attach spike chains and rotate the hat 90 degrees and create a very painful shield.