Let's Play Guild Wars 2!! - Page 21 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Let's Play Guild Wars 2!!

Eh? The most expensive trait bock is like 2 gold, only.

Personally, I am finding the crafting system a little frustrating. Or more pressingly, some combinations are a Bad Idea, like me trying to be both a armour smith and a weaponsmith. Feh. The amount of copper is ok, no problem there. But all those claws and bones and blood and so forth. It is maddening. I did not have this issue when I was a jewelcrafter and artificer. I am struggling to 'keep up' my crafting talents with my level, making me feel like all I should ever do is kill stuff for their drops and gather metals. No renown hearts, no personal storyline or events. Just grind, grind, gind. Not what I was hoping for, that is sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inscribed View Post
The level 11 trait book is 10 silver. The level 40 trait book is 1 gold. The level 60 trait book is 10 gold.

Quote:
Personally, I am finding the crafting system a little frustrating. Or more pressingly, some combinations are a Bad Idea, like me trying to be both a armour smith and a weaponsmith. Feh. The amount of copper is ok, no problem there. But all those claws and bones and blood and so forth. It is maddening. I did not have this issue when I was a jewelcrafter and artificer. I am struggling to 'keep up' my crafting talents with my level, making me feel like all I should ever do is kill stuff for their drops and gather metals. No renown hearts, no personal storyline or events. Just grind, grind, gind. Not what I was hoping for, that is sure...
Well yeah, if you run two crafting skills that use a lot of the same materials, I would fully expect that farming is required to keep them properly supplied. If you could get the materials to support multiple crafts that use the same mats just by exploring and leveling, they would have no value on the trading post, and the economy would crash.

Quote:

Leatherworking and weaponsmithing in my case, I have the same issue as you, really quite saddening, though truth be told, I do find the amount of copper needed torturous aswell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfeld View Post
The level 11 trait book is 10 silver. The level 40 trait book is 1 gold. The level 60 trait book is 10 gold.
No, the level 60 trait book is 2 gold. I bought mine earlier this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitou Kage View Post
No, the level 60 trait book is 2 gold. I bought mine earlier this week.
They must have changed it since the last time I checked the vendor.

But that's good news for me!

I think most crafts, cooking and I think Artificing (maybe 1 other, not in game right now to check) use the materials you are running short on (claws, vials of blood, poison sacs, etc).
I found the best way, although it won't work very well to keep you level equal to what you can craft, is to craft as many of the refinement things (copper ore to copper/bronze bars, etc) as you can as till it no longer gives xp, then start crafting some of the equipment you can. Unfortunately, if you are keeping them equal with your level, you probably don't have enough of the common crafting materials on hand to do that effectively (luckily, those are cheep on trading house).
Also, although I haven't checked this so I may be wrong (someone who has please let me know), i think discovering new recipes, regardless of how similar they are, gets more xp than crafting ones you know, so crafting 1 of every item may make your materials go slightly further, takes longer though, since you have to do it one by one. Again, not sure about that one, so don't quote me on it, unless you've confirmed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzarr View Post
I think most crafts, cooking and I think Artificing (maybe 1 other, not in game right now to check) use the materials you are running short on (claws, vials of blood, poison sacs, etc).
I found the best way, although it won't work very well to keep you level equal to what you can craft, is to craft as many of the refinement things (copper ore to copper/bronze bars, etc) as you can as till it no longer gives xp, then start crafting some of the equipment you can. Unfortunately, if you are keeping them equal with your level, you probably don't have enough of the common crafting materials on hand to do that effectively (luckily, those are cheep on trading house).
Also, although I haven't checked this so I may be wrong (someone who has please let me know), i think discovering new recipes, regardless of how similar they are, gets more xp than crafting ones you know, so crafting 1 of every item may make your materials go slightly further, takes longer though, since you have to do it one by one. Again, not sure about that one, so don't quote me on it, unless you've confirmed it.
Cooking, Artificing, and Jewelry all use different materials, and don't use the blue mats that drop off mobs.

And yes, discovering recipes grants more experience than crafting things you already know. Usually, discovering a recipe for a brand new level tier (so, every 25 levels) grants me about 2 1/2 bars of craft experience.

Quote:
*Grumbles* I've been running a Condition Damage build with Shortbow and Axe/Torch for the better part of 59 levels. I realized that recently, my build hasn't been working nearly as well as it used to, because my pet isn't pulling aggro nearly as often as he used to (I need to hit a target from the sides/back to stack bleeds). So, I decided at 60 I would retrain my traits and regear for Power, and probably pick up a Longbow.

Then I realized that I'm 6.5 gold short of picking up my highest level trait book, with only half a level to 60 -.-
Er, the highest level trait book is only 2 gold, isn't it?

Quote:
Well yeah, if you run two crafting skills that use a lot of the same materials, I would fully expect that farming is required to keep them properly supplied. If you could get the materials to support multiple crafts that use the same mats just by exploring and leveling, they would have no value on the trading post, and the economy would crash.
Psch, eff the economy. All I care about is it being somewhat enjoyable. So, I've simply decided to not craft, at least not for a long while, and do the parts I do enjoy; Completing the maps. Interestingly, I've discovered that selling all those materials brings in an aweful lot of money, so I suppose I should take back what I said about the economy.