Let's Play Guild Wars 2!! - Page 19 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Let's Play Guild Wars 2!!

I started my thief using dual pistols and did a lot of kiting.. Then recently switched to dual daggers and spammed a lot of the Death Blossom ability, which seems really good.. While doing it you're evading attacks and it hits everyone around you for seemingly reasonable damage.. I think I can do it 3 times before my initiative runs out, then I use the Roll for Initiative power, which gets out of range of attacks (might evade, but I'm not sure) and gives a bunch of Initiative back and I can usually get in to hit another death blossom or two.. Throwing on signet of Malice makes health come back pretty fast given you get health each time Death Blossom hits (which is a few times). Overall, I'm feeling pretty hardy, but last night was the first time I really invested in trying the dagger/dagger stuff (and I'm only level 14 ).. Seems much more powerful than the guns I was using earlier.. May try and experiment with some weapon swapping.. Shoot a bit, when they get in range jump to daggers..

Overall, lots of fun on the thief

Weapon swap is definitely key to getting the most out of your gameplay. It's really cool to be able to change half your skill bar with a push of the button. Engineers don't weapon switch like other classes do, but I have fun blasting back enemies with the Flamethrower, switching to my rifle to immobilize them, then switching back to the Flamethrower for damage. Then back to the Rifle again for another knockback, or to the Elixir Gun for a quick escape move. All kinds of fun stuff by mixing and matching my abilities.

Same with my Elementalist right now: I'm actually taking him the healy route, but I start in Earth to summon a tanky elemental, may event start the fight there; switch between Fire and Water as needed to DPS/heal, and Air I've really not had occasion to really find a use for yet, other than speed buffing.

Sorry, I should have specified. I haven’t played any of the PvP. I have been soloing PvE and for the most part, assisting players I see in my travels.

@Kerim – I already have two humans, an Asura, and a Sylvari (not a fan of the Charr. Bad blood from the first game ), so I figured Nord to round out the five slots I get. Human ranger is my main right now. But a seven-foot tall thief does sound a bit of a non-ninja.

@Kaitou Kage- I have tried all the classes but thief and Mesmer. One of my alts is an Asura engineer (I know, real character stretch right?). The turrets have saved my bacon a few times, diggin' that. As far as weapon swapping, I totally agree. One set ranged and one set close quarters, has been a Charlie Sheen “winning” combination for me.

@ Grayfield- Ya, I thought that would be the case as well as any casting class. Makes it harder to enjoy soloing. I have just started the traits path on my ranger, so maybe sticking with the necro for the long haul will make the dying less lame. Although I gotta say, I like the Borderlands “fight for your life” mechanic when you’re downed.

My Thief can take on 4 or 5 enemies 2 levels or so higher than him with relative ease, I basically built to tank and crit all the time. For the most part I use sword/dagger, but dagger/dagger is also amazing. Them bleeds.

Then of course there is the short bow, run in a circle and just whittle away at your enemy without getting hit. And more bleeds from the explosive shot.

Well, while I was playing last night I found the "store" and for 800 gems ($10) I can add another character slot. So I may just buy or save up for that and make a thief while keeping the necro as well. Might take a while to earn with in game money as I am about 743 gems short, but its kind of cool to think I can add another slot above 5 for just playing the game.

That is one of the cool things about GW2, I think They have a cash shop but you can buy things from it without ever spending real money. It takes a lot longer, of course! But you can do it.

I soloed a couple skill challenge mob sets on my Engineer last night. It's intense since I don't have as much bouncy-flippy-dodgy stuff as a thief, but it's pretty fun. Flamethrower all the things, or Elixir Gun them to add Weakness, and Supply Drop for stun, heal, and extra damage all in one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitou Kage View Post
That is one of the cool things about GW2, I think They have a cash shop but you can buy things from it without ever spending real money. It takes a lot longer, of course! But you can do it.
Not a bad model.. Kind of how much is your time worth? You can spend hours doing something, or drop a few bucks and get it right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchslasher View Post
Not a bad model.. Kind of how much is your time worth? You can spend hours doing something, or drop a few bucks and get it right away.
That is exactly their philosophy. They wrote a blog post about it when they revealed the cash shop. They said it keeps in line with letting players choose how they play because it accommodates players with money (but no time) and time (but no money).

One of my guildies accumulated about 100 gems in the first week just by dedicating a little silver here and there toward gems.