Mutations in the human brain are making us stupider, new research theorizes - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Mutations in the human brain are making us stupider, new research theorizes

Mutations in the human brain are making us stupider, new research theorizes

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...sEnabled=false

Someone with more knowledge in genetics (*cough*Michael*cough*) want to tell me whether this guy has a legitimate case?

Quote:
Luckily, the loss of brain wattage is so slow that advances in technology should solve our problems before we all turn completely stupid.
Genetic engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikul
Would you prefer it in the Gattaca or the Brave New World flavour?
I'd prefer it not to be in the Fallout or Canticle for Liebowitz flavours.

I don't know why this would be surprising to people. Intelligence no longer determines whether people will survive to breed. Although primarily created for humor, this comic explains it best.

Essentially, humans are no longer subject to natural selection. We have artificial selection now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaelis View Post
I don't know why this would be surprising to people. Intelligence no longer determines whether people will survive to breed. Although primarily created for humor, this comic explains it best.

Essentially, humans are no longer subject to natural selection. We have artificial selection now.
What we have, for the vast majority of the species right now, is a lack of artificial selection; while being rich, educated, and likeable don't guarantee that you'll have children (and in fact, you're very unlikely to have lots of them), being a poor, ignorant pig doesn't guarantee that you DON'T have children (and in fact, it's moderately likely that you'll have lots of them).

We actually have selectors in place that are actively pushing the species as a whole to be stupid, uneducated, and poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diremage View Post
I'd prefer it not to be in the Fallout or Canticle for Liebowitz flavours.
I... see your point, and applaud your references.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diremage View Post
What we have, for the vast majority of the species right now, is a lack of artificial selection; while being rich, educated, and likeable don't guarantee that you'll have children (and in fact, you're very unlikely to have lots of them), being a poor, ignorant pig doesn't guarantee that you DON'T have children (and in fact, it's moderately likely that you'll have lots of them).

We actually have selectors in place that are actively pushing the species as a whole to be stupid, uneducated, and poor.
Pretty much. We're selecting against intelligence and education, from a biological standpoint. The individuals might do better, but their genes do very poorly compared to the stupid, uneducated, and poor.