Batman Shooting - Page 15 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Batman Shooting

We hear about similar shootings in US every year. They do not happen in most other developed countries. Those countries with gun controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grisha View Post
We hear about similar shootings in US every year. They do not happen in most other developed countries. Those countries with gun controls.
Or... you know, not so much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...killers#Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post
In Colorado, unless a person was an expert marksman with perfect vision in less than perfect conditions, nerves of steel and lightning fast reflexes (which other than self-proclaimed super-soldiers like you, are a fairly rare breed), then drawing a weapon and standing up in that theater would have gotten him killed lickety-split. So much for self defense.
Three of the victims were men who shoved their girlfriends down and got on top of them to shield them from the bullets, and died doing so. Would they have had enough time to try to shoot back had they been armed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grisha View Post
One year ago last Saturday, a political summer camp for teens was shot all to hell in Norway, not to menion a few bombs going off. 18 dead, wasn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuse View Post
Um..

Yes you did.
Sorry, I didn't intend to. My apologies, what I wanted to say is that they do not happen every year.

Probably true.

On the same note, These types of shootings don't happen in the US every year either. Yes, there are murders that involve guns. But not on this scale. We had 8 years between Columbine and VA Tech. I don't recall anything major in between these off the top of my head.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spree_killer
Since year 2000 there were 10 killing sprees in US.
For the last 5 years there was at least one every year.

Sorry for double posting, but found a correlation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_...ita_by_country

Most of the sprees happen in countries with lots of guns: US, Finland, Norway, France, Germany

This correlation only exists for this particular kind of crime, it's not followed in general crime rate though.

The US is a pretty big country. I expect there to be more nutjobs out of the US, because there are 300 million Americans rolling around. I just worked backwards on that list, and had 6 shootings in the US, compared to 8 "Abroad" until I reached a population base that was actually higher than the US (once I included Japan, with 120 million people)