Batman Shooting - Page 24 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Batman Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogie View Post
My main point was that you seem to be saying that private citizens can and should be getting the kind of training that makes them proficient, yet seem to be saying that the police officers are less likely to get this same training themselves.
What's the problem with that? Like I said, I'm putting police in right along with private citizens (and adding servicecritters) on that statement. Firearms are powerful tools. It's irresponsible and unbecoming a citizen of a republic to not be proficient in their use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogie View Post
It just seemed odd to me that people with some form of gun training at work wouldnt further this themselves yet others would be more sensible.
So you're saying I'm not being sensible because I'm saying people who carry weapons (uniformed or not) should be trained with them, and because I know what that training could equip someone to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
Do you not know what a literacy test is?
They went the wrong way with those. Instead of banning them, they should have made them universal for all would-be citizens and voters.

Hoogie,
Keep this in mind when considering the proficiency oc most police officers. While training at a police academy a candidate may fire around 1000 rounds of ammunition. After that they will certify once a hear with a 100 round course of fire, with perhaps 100 rounds allowed prior for practice. When I have time on a weekend I will fire about that ma.y rounds from my hand gun and a similar number through my rifle. As has been pointed out above training time and budgets for the a erage department are embarrassingly low.

Ugh, only a hundred rounds a year? I remember budgets were low, but... yikes! I burn through that on a weekend!

For people like this one, I've always thought the most just punishment would be to literally erase that person. Remove all traces of their identity from the public eye, leaving the only evidence that they were ever alive in government records like birth/death certificates. Driver's license, home ownership, permits, taxes, burn it all. Give that person a numerical designation and place them in solitary confinement.

Allow the individual food, water, reading materials, exercise equipment, whatever. The individual cannot however, receive any reflective surfaces, writing utencils, recording devices, or other means of interacting with or recording the idea of "self". They can't see themselves in a mirror or write a diary. As they age, they can only remember what they once looked like, not knowing how they've changed over the decades. The only time they hear their own voice is when they speak, though they have no one to speak to. Essentially, they become a stranger to even themselves.

It's cruel, arguably far crueler than simply giving them the death penalty, but it's
not moral or ethical, but just
just.

Edit: To all of the above, please remain civil and considerate.

Unless you put the wrong person in prison.

(On a related note, have you ever heard of something called the 8th amendment?)

That is a very interesting idea. I like it. Especially when such a crime seems to be related to ego, as this one appears to have been.

Edit for above: It's a special punishment for a special crime. In this case, we already have the right person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
They went the wrong way with those. Instead of banning them, they should have made them universal for all would-be citizens and voters.
So in what language would this test be administered? America has no official national language last time I checked.

Seriously, though, we did away with that crap for a reason in 1965. If you are a citizen, you get one vote. Once we start making requirements to vote, this stops being a representative republic, and starts being an oglarchy. I suppose you could make millions of people a seperate sub-class and deny them equal rights, but I don't think that is a good idea in the long term.

To be fair, I never indicated it was a legal punishment, simply one which I felt to be deserved. It would not and could not be applied in real life in the United States.