Tips for game resuscitation? - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Tips for game resuscitation?

It's not the same story though, they are on totally different missions, which happen to have been given by the same person...one group is heading to an ancient ruin to investigate what happened to a missing expedition there, and finish their work if possible...the other group is heading to a frontier town to try and help the Baron with a problem of increasing barbarian attacks, and try to investigate/stop the attacks.

Cnyperos, I have tried to find previous apps I liked, but every time I did the person was either too busy to join or they had gone MIA from the Weave....

I've considered co-GMing too, the problem is I don't always have everything totally laid out ahead of time, so a co-GM would be in the dark as to my possible intentions and I sometimes wouldn't agree with how the co-GM would advance the story...

Well, the key to using a co-GM is someone you align with and work well with. I've learned that in order to really co-GM there's a lot of control I have to give up. But, someone that you work well with can really enhance the story and make it more than you envision. It's a delicate art in finding someone you write/work well with.

In my experience, you need to have at least a way to contact your co-GM off the Weave, preferably a prior relationship of some kind with them. Also, it's essential to spell out exactly what the co-GM is and is not responsible for and allowed to do. In addition, you must be able to cede control of those aspects of the game without feeling like they're doing it wrong.

It sounds like this would be a good time to just scale back the challenges and let the two groups finish what they're doing, then combine them after these particular adventures are complete. Consider ways to shorten the adventures, even to the point of having them not be much of an adventure after all. Maybe the barbarian attacks are really an illusionist and a small band of archers. Perhaps they can encounter the expedition just a few 'rooms' into the ruins, saying there's a curse and they can't leave, but the mission is complete. Could they go fetch someone who can remove curses, please?

Let your players know you're going to curtail the two adventures to combine the parties in the hopes of avoiding more unnecessary breaks in the game, and they won't be disappointed with the outcomes.