Puerto Rico votes to become a US state - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Puerto Rico votes to become a US state

Sigh.

My thread was first, but go with this one... it has less typos

And it would be up to Congress at this point. With the GOP in power, I don't see them allowing it, since i would imaging all of PR would vote liberal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wippit Guud View Post
And it would be up to Congress at this point. With the GOP in power, I don't see them allowing it, since i would imaging all of PR would vote liberal.
Also, do you know how annoying it would be to move around all those stars to make room for another one? This is a bad idea!

Realistically, though, the new Governor is anti-statehood, so I'm sure he'll come out against it and the GOP will cite that as a reason to block it. It sucks, though, because both the US and Puerto Rico would be strengthened by it. They get more federal funding, and, if Hawaii is any indicator, a boom in their economy, and we get tax dollars. This is, of course, ignoring the social aspects, like, say, representation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaelis View Post
Also, do you know how annoying it would be to move around all those stars to make room for another one? This is a bad idea!
There already is one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaelis View Post
Realistically, though, the new Governor is anti-statehood, so I'm sure he'll come out against it and the GOP will cite that as a reason to block it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wippit Guud View Post
Why do you two think that? The pro-statehood candidate was a Republican and the anti-Statehood candidate a Democrat. The official GOP platform is to support it if they vote to enter. Gerald Ford first proposed to start the process in 1976 and every President we've had since then regardless of party affiliation has vocally supported their inclusion if they vote to enter. I have not found anyone against it in either political party in the few minutes I spent on google.

Is there anything you're basing this opinion on at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
Why do you two think that? The pro-statehood candidate was a Republican and the anti-Statehood candidate a Democrat. The official GOP platform is to support it if they vote to enter. Gerald Ford first proposed to start the process in 1976 and every President we've had since then regardless of party affiliation has vocally supported their inclusion if they vote to enter. I have not found anyone against it in either political party in the few minutes I spent on google.

Is there anything you're basing this opinion on at all?
The Republican Party isn't the same party hardly at all it was in 1976. I'm betting that at least the house republicans will come out in some way opposing it because it's become such a game to them to ensure they win in congress, considering that Puerto Rico becoming a state is many times more likely to work to the dem's benefit than the repubs. I could be wrong, admittedly I don't know a whole lot at all about modern republican opinion on this issue.

Well the Republican Governor of the State was pro-Statehood, and the official party platform in 2012 is to accept them. It seems like you're just basing it off some vague "I like this idea and I dislike republicans therefore they must be against it" type feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
Well the Republican Governor of the State was pro-Statehood, and the official party platform in 2012 is to accept them. It seems like you're just basing it off some vague "I like this idea and I dislike republicans therefore they must be against it" type feeling.
I just figure the GOP would be against it because it'll mean more brown people voting. Bill O'Reilly said it well after the election I think, when he said with obvious disappointment, that "the white establishment is now the minority".

http://www.examiner.com/article/o-re...asons-gop-lost

The Republican party has progressively become the party of hate and fear, and so it's only natural that some people would start assuming they'll be against something based solely on those things.