Spellcasting Time in regards to balance? - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Spellcasting Time in regards to balance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbender View Post
A decent fighter should be able to consistently deal enough damage to make a wizard fail most of his concentration checks, has a high chance of hitting the low AC wizard and only needs to do that a couple of times before the wizard runs out of hitpoints.
Unless the Wizard has one or more of the many defensive buff spells he can cast active. If the Wizard is being hit at all, he's doing something wrong.

Quote:
Why? I would think that shaping the world requires very delicate and easy to disturb actions, and require lots of energy and time. In my mind, a wizard in trance from his world-shaping would be an easy target and crumble under the first dagger that hits him.
That's kind of my point. The problem is is that D&D tries to find ways for a Fighter to match up with someone who can do inhuman things on a daily basis, flattening buildings and slaying people with single spells - and it fails. Instead, perhaps acknowledging that the Wizard's abilities are far more powerful and just making them harder to use makes more sense? Perhaps a lot of casting is not even really appropriate in-combat? It would make for a far different mechanic if combat was about protecting the wizard long enough for him to complete his earth-shattering spell (not so fun for the Wizard perhaps if all he does is stand and cast).

I'm tempted to try something like this, just for fun.

Quote:
A decent fighter should be able to consistently deal enough damage to make a wizard fail most of his concentration checks, has a high chance of hitting the low AC wizard and only needs to do that a couple of times before the wizard runs out of hitpoints.
As is often the case, there is a gulf between what should be and what is.