Quick questions and answers - Page 541 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Quick questions and answers

The spell lists no value for the focus. That means that it is assumed to be included, at no additional cost, in the Material Components Pouch of an appropriate spellcaster, that being any spellcaster capable of casting Plane Shift.

I plan on giving my character Eschew Materials, this means that I will not have a regular need for a spell component pouch. I would rather just spent the (presumably) cheaper cost for the specific fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Kobold View Post
D&D 3.5
Plane shift requires a focus of a small forked metal rod. Its specific shape and material decides what plane it goes to.

What is the cost of a metal fork (litterally an eating utensile) that could be used as a focus for the plane of asgard?
Strictly RAW ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD
As with material components, the cost for a focus is negligible unless a price is given. Assume that focus components of negligible cost are in your spell component pouch.
Zero.

That said, you should probably check that with the GM; an Ysgard-key could easily be "a small electrum fork forged from the shattered shield of a brave warrior who died defending his allies" and have a much higher cost.
I think it was mentioned somewhere (3.0 ? AD&D Planescape ?) that the Plane Shift fork was intended to be used as a means to limit accessibility of other planes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
That said, you should probably check that with the GM; an Ysgard-key could easily be "a small electrum fork forged from the shattered shield of a brave warrior who died defending his allies" and have a much higher cost.
Yes, you should always check with your GM to figure out what houserules they will be using in your game.

Next question.

In 3.5, is there widely accepted rules to create your own permanent demiplane of pocket dimension?

I regularly hear mention of some ancient wizards private plane in quest fluff and stories, but I can only find homebrew spells for it. Has WotC posted an official means of genrating one (short of becoming a diety)?

I know psions can do it, not quite so sure about wizards.

D&D 3.5

When a spellcaster uses

Detect Magic

Divination
Level:
Bard 0, Cleric 0, Druid 0, Sorcerer/Wizard 0
Components:
V, S
Casting Time:
1 standard action
Range:
60 ft.
Area:
Cone-shaped emanation
Duration:
Concentration, up to 1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw:
None
Spell Resistance:
No

You detect magical auras. The amount of information revealed depends on how long you study a particular area or subject.

1st Round: Presence or absence of magical auras.

2nd Round: Number of different magical auras and the power of the most potent aura.

3rd Round: The strength and location of each aura. If the items or creatures bearing the auras are in line of sight, you can make Spellcraft skill checks to determine the school of magic involved in each. (Make one check per aura; DC 15 + spell level, or 15 + half caster level for a nonspell effect.)

Magical areas, multiple types of magic, or strong local magical emanations may distort or conceal weaker auras.

Aura Strength: An aura's power depends on a spell's functioning spell level or an item's caster level. If an aura falls into more than one category, Detect magic indicates the stronger of the two.

--------- Aura Power ---------
Spell or Object
Faint
Moderate
Strong
Overwhelming
Functioning spell (spell level)
3rd or lower
4th-6th
7th-9th
10th+ (deity-level)
Magic item (caster level)
5th or lower
6th-11th
12th-20th
21st+ (artifact)

Lingering Aura: A magical aura lingers after its original source dissipates (in the case of a spell) or is destroyed (in the case of a magic item). If Detect magic is cast and directed at such a location, the spell indicates an aura strength of dim (even weaker than a faint aura). How long the aura lingers at this dim level depends on its original power:

Original Strength
Duration of Lingering Aura
Faint
1d6 rounds
Moderate
1d6 minutes
Strong
1d6x10 minutes
Overwhelming
1d6 days

Outsiders and elementals are not magical in themselves, but if they are summoned, the conjuration spell registers.

Each round, you can turn to detect magic in a new area. The spell can penetrate barriers, but 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt blocks it.

Detect magic can be made permanent with a permanency spell.

Detect Magic to determine the school of magic involved in a particular aura, is the subschool (provided there is one) determined as well?

The spell description makes no mention of revealing that information. As such, that information is not revealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Kobold View Post
D&D 3.5
Plane shift requires a focus of a small forked metal rod. Its specific shape and material decides what plane it goes to.

What is the cost of a metal fork (litterally an eating utensile) that could be used as a focus for the plane of asgard?

This is to be part of the starting inventory of a new character, if that at all matters.
*snicker*

Y'know that's not the kind of fork they're talking about, right DK? [This is].