Quick questions and answers - Page 558 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Quick questions and answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerK View Post
Question for D&D 3.5:

In the Cityscape book, the Ebonmar Infiltrator prestige class includes a Speed Reader ability, which lets a character read a full page of text as a full-round action. My question is: How long does it NORMALLY take a character to read pages of text? Maybe I'm missing it and it's right under my nose, but I can't seem to find printed anywhere the rules for how long it normally takes a character to read.
The ability references Comprehend Languages, which states: "Written material can be read at the rate of one page (250 words) per minute".

250 words / minute is also about the RL average reading speed of adults.

Edit: Damn sneaky ninjas...

The Pathfinder entry for Prestidigitation says that it allows you to cast minor magical stuff for an hour. It doesn't state what the action for such things should be. Would it be the same as the one from the normal spell, or would it be something else?

Kerim: I'm more familiar with 3.5 than Pathfinder, but my interpretation of Prestidigitation is that it is a Standard Action and can cast minor non-combat, temporary magical effects, such as: changing to color of an item, changing the flavor of food, creating small items out of thin air (not sturdy enough to be used as tools), making small items vanish (a coin, a small ball), animating an object temporarily (think dancing brooms from Fantasia), etc. To my knowledge, it cannot replicate the effects of other spells.

Nameless Void: To the best of my knowledge there is no way to boost caster level by that amount at level 2. Generally, unless stated otherwise, caster level is equal to the spellcaster's class level (though I am pretty sure that Arcane stacks with Arcane, and Divine stacks with Divine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethoMarkus View Post
I am pretty sure that Arcane stacks with Arcane, and Divine stacks with Divine
Caster level from different classes never stacks unless it is explicitly stated to do so.
A Cleric2/Druid2/Wizard2/Bard2 has seperate caster levels of 2 and 2 and 2 and 2.

Whats the exact wording on the caster level requirement?

With feat stacking as a human and at least one flaw (for the bonus feat) you could get several feats that increase caster level by 1 each, though the actual increase would be very specific to spell types/schools, taking the spellgifted trait also provides +1 caster level, but only to a specific spell school.

Apparently some kind of caster level increasing list: http://community.wizards.com/go/thre...g_Caster_Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
Caster level from different classes never stacks unless it is explicitly stated to do so.
A Cleric2/Druid2/Wizard2/Bard2 has seperate caster levels of 2 and 2 and 2 and 2.
Ah, I am mistaken then. I generally don't multi-class, or when I do it is between caster/non-caster so I haven't personally dealt with this before. Thank you for the clarification!

The pre-requisite is: Arcane caster level 5th.

This makes me think that if I can boost my CL to 5 for one school or spell on a permanent basis, this would make me qualify for the Prc.

Practised Spellcaster feat. Bam. Problem solved. Up to +4 caster level for a single casting class (Wizard 1 / Fighter 2 taking it at 3rd level only gains +2 CL to his wizard levels, until at least 5th level, assuming he doesn't continue to level in wizard in the meantime). Probably a bit more to it than that, but that's all I can remember for now. Including its locations, because that's gone from my mind.

Practised Spellcaster only works off levels meaning I would need level 5 to be a level 5 caster.

Thanks for the suggestion though