Using the Warhammer 40k RP System for other settings - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Using the Warhammer 40k RP System for other settings

Using the Warhammer 40k RP System for other settings

Hey there guys, I have been playing around with the Warhammer 40k roleplaying system recently and it only recently dawned on me that... I can use it for other settings or themes of games such as:

Fallout.

Fallout seems like a great fit for it as it would require little modification other than custom careers and races it would seem.

I was wondering if anyone else has ventured down this road before and if so, what were the results? Was there another theme you used?

Hmm... an interesting idea, sure. But a lot of the rules are closely tied to the 40k setting. Not just homeworlds and careers, but also a good number of skills, talents and traits. Imperial Divination. And equipment, too, really. A Fallout conversion would take a lot of work, more than one might expect.

Now that you mention the Talents and Traits I think is where the real schtick would be at. Many of the skills which would be irrelevant could be discarded. The divinations could be altered to fit the flavor more. Equipment I dont see as much of a problem with except for the stuff like the Bolt weapons.

Though you could almost just pick up and play a game of a Fallout RPG using the system that exists even if you have to peel a bit of the skin off. The d100 system in place fits the Skill progression of Fallout fairly well and let's face it the Critical Damage Tables are just like the Bloody Mess Perk.

I really wanted to bounce the idea around a bit, and I really am thankful for your insights. I hadnt considered a few of the Talents/Traits although like with the Skills some could be modified or removed as needed. I'm sure I'm not taking the full consideration of this as I have only played these games and not run a game of it. Although making a willpower check when that big purple Nightkin pops outta nowhere and nearly makes you crap your pants would be interesting.

You change Homeworlds to Origins like Vaultborn, Cityscrapper, Raider, Oldworld Ghoul, Great Kahn, Steelborn, Ceasarian, NCR Brat, Tribal, Enclaver, Commonwealther, Reno-Rat...

Only War or the Dark Heresy 2nd Edition beta would probably easiest to convert, since you only have to worry about altitudes and not writing out whole new skill lists with individual pricing for new careers.

Dark Heresy and related books, Warhammer Fantasy and related books are actually perfect for various games. They have a great way of killing you, critical chart table, realistic by the way. They have skills and talents that can be easily adapted to various settings, and you can use them as guides to add more or edit the ones already present. If you would like and it presents for a better game, you just abolish classes, skills and talents cost Exp hence people won't only learn what their class allows them.

Fighting is quick, characteristics are pretty accurate, nice modifiers, recent books have vehicles and other things, augmentations, cybernetics, etc. Personally I really like the D100 system since it allows for various homebrew games and much development. On my own experience I have used it to create a Gantz game, The Witcher, Mass Effect, Dead Space, Deus Ex, X - Com and my own creation, a steampunk game called Steel Legion.

Will add that I didn't like much the link you pasted, doesn't really fit much, in my opinion, with the setting, also, radiation, takes too much time to cause something serious.

I haven't tried to adapt the rules for other settings, but I think a rather easy one would be the cursed earth of Judge Dredd.