So no paly warhorse? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

So no paly warhorse?

So no paly warhorse?

I guess paly's lose their special mount. I have looked through the class powers several times and can not find a daily or utility power that encompasses a mount. Anyone devise any homebrew powers that would mimic a mount?

Buying a mount with gold and then riding it using the appropriate rules as presented in the PHB would probably be a fair house rule.

In all seriousness, I cannot remember a game in previous editions where the Paladin's summoned mount was ever useful. I do not find the loss in any way cumbersome. Mounted combat in dungeons was never ideal. Situations wherein mounted conflict was needed or desirable were limited in the games that I've played in.

It never made much sense to me to build a character around it as you'd lose out on a lot of your abilities as soon as you went inside.

Unicorns were the total balls in D&D 3.5
I always took the unicorn as the alternate mount, and I did so without shame.
I am kind of bummed that I can't do that anymore.

I've played a paladin a dozen times in 3.5. I used the mount, um, once?

On a different topic, I'm looking at a google ad for www.Gay.com. I blame Overkill.

Pally's lost mounts for the same reason that druids and rangers lost animal companions and wizards and sorcerers lost familiars - actions. Even though they're comparitively weak, extra actions are still mighty powerful - haste was the top-level-3 spell for a reason. In 3.x, there were all manner of tricks to get familiars casting nasty spells and animal companions could make a wildshaped druid even more formidable in combat.

In 4e, they would presumably lack such tricks - the nature of the system is a little less prone to combo'ing - but there'd still be an issue: minions. If the wizard got a rat familiar that did 1 damage, it would be able to take down the minions faster than the party would otherwise be able to, or flank to provide combat advantage. Consider the wizard/rogue - he can basically grant himself combat advantage, though the familiar.

Actions are a valuable resource in D&D, no less so in 4e. Handing them out as class features is an easy way to make things imbalanced.

Plus, you can buy a mount and sprinkle it with glitter.

Especially when you factor in Action Points. Use an action point, gain an action, have a mount. You end up with 2 standard actions, a move & a minor action, then your mount gets a move, a standard & a minor. Thats a lot of stuff for a character to do in 1 round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticattack View Post
Plus, you can buy a mount and sprinkle it with glitter.
Untill WotC comes up with something better I heartily approve of this option!

Hey, laugh all you want, but at 6th level I'd have a Unicorn that hit hard, had an AC in the upper 20s without even being cheesy about it, Magic Circle Against Evil, Neutralize Poison, and 5d8+25 hp healed a day.
Hardly ever use that? You can heal about 40 points of damage a day, and get good spells on top of it.
Plus, unicorns are fun to roleplay, probably has some of the best mental stats of people in the party.
Its a super Leadership for free.
Okay, I digress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
Hey, laugh all you want, but at 6th level I'd have a Unicorn that hit hard, had an AC in the upper 20s without even being cheesy about it, Magic Circle Against Evil, Neutralize Poison, and 5d8+25 hp healed a day.
Hardly ever use that? You can heal about 40 points of damage a day, and get good spells on top of it.
Plus, unicorns are fun to roleplay, probably has some of the best mental stats of people in the party.
Its a super Leadership for free.
Okay, I digress.
That's exactly the reason they nixed mounts, familiars, animal companions and such... simply too powerful to balance with the new paradigm of how combat works in 4E

In 4e there is still a Paladin horse option. Just go out and buy one, pretend he is your best friend and take the "Mounted Combat" feat.

Maybe not as powerful as the previous version, but well balanced for 4e.