Converting Farland Magic Items - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Converting Farland Magic Items

I like the bonus to detect lies. Should it be 10 or 11, since I kept the stun?

Here's another idea for a Farland item:

Executioner's Hood Level 11

This intimidating cowl helps you decapitate your enemies.

Slot: Head 9000 gp

Property: You gain a +2 item bonus to intimidate checks.
Power (Daily): Free Action. Use this power when you are wielding an axe and when you make a melee basic attack or use an at-will melee attack power. You are dazed until the end of your next turn. If your attack hits, you automatically score a critical hit.

It shouldn't work just like that for a once-daily critical hit. Demand that the target be prone, dazed, or immobilized, perhaps? That might be a restrictive enough set of conditions.

Thanks for the comments. However, I patterned this item after one from Adventurer's vault, which allows an auto max damage. Granted, this item will allow a few more d6s of damage, but it is also only usable with axes. I could raise the level by one or two if people think it is unbalanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farland View Post
Thanks for the comments. However, I patterned this item after one from Adventurer's vault, which allows an auto max damage. Granted, this item will allow a few more d6s of damage, but it is also only usable with axes. I could raise the level by one or two if people think it is unbalanced.
Crits are tied to so much more than simple max damage is. Class/path/destiny features, feats, even some powers require crits. That makes this far more powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithobi1 View Post
Crits are tied to so much more than simple max damage is. Class/path/destiny features, feats, even some powers require crits. That makes this far more powerful.
Okay, so how would you bring it in line? Raise the level?

Here's an attempt to convert the Helmet of Anarim. Please comment. I'm going out on a limb here.

Helm of Fire Dominion Level 21

This powerful helm, crafted for the High King of the Kingdom of Farland in its hey-day, is intricately carved and polished; flames are perpetually reflected in the burgeoned surfaces of the helm even when the wearer is not near fire.

Slot: Head 225,000 gp

Property: Gain resist 10 fire.
Power (Daily): Standard Action. Make an attack against a monster with the elemental origin and the fire keyword: Ranged 5/10; +24 vs. Will; on a hit, you dominate the monster until the end of your next turn.

I think that it might be a bit weak unless you're fighting a lot of fire elemental creatures. In general, i don't like a lot of the enemy specific items because, for the most part, they're either useless[if you rarely come against fire elementals], or its a way to get a stronger ability than you would normally[if you come up a lot of fire elementals].

It would probably be better balance wise if it applied to any creature who was taking ongoing fire damage or was resistant to fire[naturally, not by item]. This way, players can trigger the ability by using an ongoing fire power first, or they can use it on fire elemental based creatures.

I think these kinds of restrictions are better for balance than type based ones since they only allow you the stronger power if you meet a condition that requires you to spend actions that may or may not be optimal.

I think it's pretty balanced. It compares well to the Helm of Ghostly defense, which offers resist 10 necrotic (and is a level 22 item).

The daily power is pretty powerful, but because it is so limited in scope it isn't abusive.