old school AD&D looking around - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Introductions

Newcomers, don't be shy, come and introduce yourself! Our members will be delighted to bring you into the fold.

old school AD&D looking around

old school AD&D looking around

Hi Myth Weavers. Long time reader, new poster here. I have been searching around various sites for old school D&D, AD&D 1st and 2e players, mainly looking to meet for in person tabletop play in Northwest Arkansas (member of NWARPG group and forum as well). However I have recently started exploring the guidelines for PbP Play by Post according to myth weavers, and I am considering applying for an OD&D Swords & Wizardry clone type of campaign that appears to be forming up at this time. Thanks for the welcome here and the opportunity to post and check out PbP.

Welcome, and good luck in finding a game! The old-school revolution is getting pretty strong these days, and more of these games are popping up. I'm thinking about starting a S&W game myself if I can find a bit of extra time

Thanks mercutio. I think I saw you submitted a character (a halfling thief, name of Jeegan or somesuch) for the same Play By Post game that I just created a PC to play.

IRL in real life I am playing a tabletop "OD&D" game, at monthly Game Days. I am also looking to get a group together for 1st Edition/ 2nd Edition AD&D, and the search for players is what led me here. Now I'm excited for the PbP game and seeing what it's like to play by text on a forum. I type, so it should be good.

But I still wish to play more in-person tabletop games with local gamers, of course.

NW Arkansas gamers? Man, talk about a needle in a haystack, and I thought I had it rough in Upstate NY! Good luck with your search, I've found PbP has largely filled the hole in my heart that is D&D.

True but I have noticed RPG's are quite popular around here, and "old school D&D" seems to be making a comeback. I was first alerted that people are playing OD&D through a DM who runs a sandbox campaign at NWARPG monthly Game Days. NWARPG (Northwest Arkansas Roleplaying Gamers) has a forum similar to this one, but focused on monthly Game Day events, weekly Board Gaming, and a Looking For A Game subforum (generally to meet people in person). Not sure if we've caught on to PbP over there yet, and for that reason I plan to direct my mates from NWARPG to check out Myth-Weavers. Besides, I figured there might be Arkansas players on Myth-Weavers who aren't checking NWARPG. Whatever crossover we can generate to find enough players to form an adventuring party (2-6 players ideally), I am on the hunt for a new gaming group around here! Actually I have 1-2 other players besides myself, lined up to play. We are all presently trying to recruit a few more players to the open seats.

Hey Gold, go add your name to this thread:

Old School Roleplayers

That's a good way to get started of course, invite your friends on here, start a game and advertise for Players Needed -- you'll most likely get swamped by applications

Good Luck,

NGP

Thanks NGP. I just added myself and got listed in that thread of Old School players.

Also I have applied today with a new character, to join a PbP play-by-post game of D&D on Myth-Weaver.

As for STARTING a game and advertising on Players Needed --- is that limited to (or aimed at) PbP games, or is it also a good place to advertise looking for humans to join our gaming group IRL offline? (Arkansas.. NWARPG AD&D etc).

still getting the hang of this forum. i'm reading the wiki and learning

Hi Gold, no problems

No, it is only for players on MW.

There is a charter / rule / law / something like that which says you can only advertise for games on here that are played on here (eg: You can't post: I'm looking for 3 players in the blah blah area who want to play blah blah on Saturdays)

There are other sites which have live advertising for RPG's in "an area near you" which do a very good job, but they don't support PbP.

You don't have to read the entire Wiki, the parts you will mostly find helpful are the bbcodes (how to wrap text to do "something" -- Strikethrough, bold, language text, insert tables, set fieldcodes, etc, found here:

bbCodes

and of course the Dice Roller (you'll find the link to the Dice Roller under Help ) That is a must know / learn, but by asking other players what the convention to do something with the dice will most likely get you the answer as well

For instance you can do something like: 6m4d6^3r2

When you wrap them in this: [Dice]6m4d6^3r2[/Dice], you get this, 4d6 rolled 6 times, reroll anything under a 2
Dice Roll: 4d6^3r2 4d6^3r2 4d6^3r2 4d6^3r2 4d6^3r2 4d6^3r2
d6 Results: 6, 5, 6 (Total = 17)
d6 Results: 5, 6, 6 (Total = 17)
d6 Results: 6, 3, 5 (Total = 14)
d6 Results: 5, 4, 6 (Total = 15)
d6 Results: 4, 4, 4 (Total = 12)
d6 Results: 5, 5, 4 (Total = 14)
Don't be afraid to ask for help, as people are always happy to give it,

Good luck,

NGP