Let's Play Guild Wars 2!! - Page 12 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Let's Play Guild Wars 2!!

Okay, so just to be sure.

You are telling me that the "weapon skills" stay the same forever?

(Because if that is the case, then I am thankful I made a warrior)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfeld View Post
I still have yet to jump into WvW yet. I'm not sure if I'm going to on my engineer or not. I'm still having a hard time homing in on a playstyle.

The problem I have is that I just don't really feel the need to use any of my non-weapon skills. I mean, I drop a healing turret from time to time since it helps me stay alive, but I can pretty much kill anything by circle-strafing and unloading all my weapon skills over and over again (Been running Pistol/Shield for a nice offense/defense balance).
I use dual pistols and a Flamethrower kit (I'm level 53). I've been using the Flamethrower as my primary weapon for a long time now. Its basic attack does really high damage and inflicts Burning. If you go 10 points into Firearms, you give yourself a 33% and 50% chance to inflict Bleeding and Vulnerability on a crit, respectively. The Flamethrower basic attack hits 10 times in about 3 seconds, and each of those hits has a chance to crit individually. That means you can stack the bleeding and vulnerability like crazy.

The 2 is better when you're not soloing. Aim it right and the explosion huge damage. The 3 attack blasts a bunch of nearby enemies back and is really good for giving you a chance to breathe. You can pretty much treat it as another dodge because it interrupts enemies that don't have Stability. The 4 is wall of fire. Set them up in groups and anyone using physical projectiles will love you. it The 5 does an AoE blind, also very nice when soloing. To sum it up, the Flamethrower is really, really good.

I prefer dual pistols over pistol-shield because the shield abilities are too reactionary and I've never found a situation where they made a difference. The pistol 4 attack inflicts Burning, and the 5 is a ground-targeted slow. The latter is very nice for kiting.

I've gotten some good use out of the Elixir Gun, too, but mainly in groups. It has a debuff/buff type of thing going. The basic attack inflicts Weakness, which is useful for reducing damage. The 2 bounces and cripples enemies and gives swiftness to allies, both of which are great alone, but amazing when done together. The 3 sprays poison and cures conditions, and the 5 does a wide AoE heal. The toolkit skill is also good because it gives AoE regeneration.

Quote:
Gadgets are.... well, they're ok I guess, though not anything spectacular. The quick-cast ones do about as much damage as a regular auto-attack bullet, and the ones that do any considerable damage or status effects take a while to go off (the Big Ol' Bomb is fun, but it's not really useful outside of solo combat, and it's too slow to really work in pvp).
The thing is, utility skills aren't necessarily about damage. They're about augmenting your gameplay.

Personal Battering Ram is really really good for the same reason the Flamethrower's #3 is. It only hits 1 target and has a long cooldown but it interrupts and it sends the enemy flying. I use this thing constantly. Having these Knockback options is like having another chance to dodge for most enemies.

Slick Shoes has been useful (does Knockdown) though I don't use it as often. Rocket Boots is good, but better in a group fight. You can use them to get out of the fray if baddies get too close.

Quote:
The only thing I haven't actually tried yet is elixirs. *Shrugs*
The two Elixirs I find most useful on a regular basis are Elixir B and Elixir S. Elixir B gives you four buffs (Fury, Might, Retaliation, and Swiftness) for about 10 seconds. The Might lasts longer. Elixir S makes you invulnerable for a very brief time. Both of their tool kit skills are useful too.

You don't have to use ALL turrets or ALL weapon kits or ALL gadgets, etc., on your utility slots. Mix and match, see what works, what fits. It took me a while to find a groove I liked and I still change things up sometimes. Right now in soloing I run Elixir H, Flamethrower Kit, Slick Shoes, and Personal Battering Ram. Before I got Slick Shoes, I used Elixir B instead.

In groups and dungeons, I tend to use Healing Turret, Elixir Gun, Elixir S, and Rocket Boots (a lot of bosses in dungeons are immune to the PBH's knockback and Slick Shoes' knockdown).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Okay, so just to be sure.

You are telling me that the "weapon skills" stay the same forever?

(Because if that is the case, then I am thankful I made a warrior)
Assuming you are taking into account the fact that equipping different weapons/weapon combos for your class unlocks new skills for those weapons then yes, they don't change. You're likely to have an easier time with many fights when you switch weapon sets though to switch up your skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJester View Post
Assuming you are taking into account the fact that equipping different weapons/weapon combos for your class unlocks new skills for those weapons then yes, they don't change. You're likely to have an easier time with many fights when you switch weapon sets though to switch up your skills.
This.

Just because a class has access to a bunch of weapons does not innately make it more versatile. In my experience, all the classes are equally versatile. Engineers can only use three weapons, but have the weapon kits. Elementalists can only have one weapon set equipped but can switch between four sets of weapon skills.

Besides, while some classes have more weapons than others, you still only get to switch between two weapon sets in combat. So a character that can use 10 different weapons is still limited to two in combat (except Elementalists). Having access to more weapons makes it seem more versatile on the surface, but in practice each class functions uniquely enough that even with a smaller weapon pool they still are plenty versatile and capable of varying playstyles.

More questions.

I am getting this error all the time when trying to create a new character 42:22:2:108:101

I turned off my firewall and all the other programs and I still can't fix it.

Is it safe to say that it might be a server/game side problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
More questions.

I am getting this error all the time when trying to create a new character 42:22:2:108:101

I turned off my firewall and all the other programs and I still can't fix it.

Is it safe to say that it might be a server/game side problem?
There facebook page seems to indicate that they're aware of a character creation problem, and are working on it. Not sure if it's the same error number or not, but it may be.

Completed the Ascalon Catacombs dungeon yesterday and man, is it tough. Luckily, after each boss you beat, a waypoint spawns there, otherwise we would have been broke from armor repairs before completing the dungeon (as each boss would have been back at full health by the time we got back to them after a party wipe).

My one major complaint is that, for story mode, the end equipment reward is set based on the dungeon level, not yours. Chances are, you're entering the dungeon with better gear than you will get as a final reward. After the story mission, I'm not so sure.

Explorable mode is to collect tokens that you trade in for level 80 gear (takes a lot of dungeon runs to get each item), but not the random loot drops during the dungeon. Also, if you thought story mode was tough, you haven't seen anything yet, explorable mode makes it look easy (ok, not quite, but close).

Also, thanks for the engineer build info, I don't play one, and didn't like it much during the beta, but that is cause I didn't really know what I was doing.

There are still a few bugs in the system, and they are working on them (trade house been one of the big ones), but all else considered, this has been a fairly smooth release, most people could get in, other than when they were doing maintenance, or releasing a new build.

I did Caudecus's Manor explorable yesterday (the rescue the butler version). HOLY CRAP it's tough. We wiped SO MANY TIMES. I lost count. That stuff's seriously hard. Even "trash mob" fights can be rough. One fight we only won because the mobs were stationary shooters and everyone else ran in (I was the only long-range). I had a convenient little door I could dodge in and out of to shoot the enemy down.

It's very nice of them to provide repair anvils because otherwise there'd be a lot of naked people in every dungeon.

For you engineers out there, Elixir S can make or break a fight sometimes. It makes you invulnerable for a few seconds. You can't do anything during that time but sometimes it's just what you need to survive. Its toolbelt skill is pretty nice too, especially when dealing with enemies that have knockback.