Quick questions and answers - Page 449 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Quick questions and answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus Fox View Post
Except that dual wielding is a full round action, and you can't take full round actions while casting (unless the spell itself is a full round) or while moving (more than a 5-foot-step). So that plan won't work either.

It also depends on your DM. While merely wearing gauntlets won't cause your spell to discharge, there are some DM's (myself included) who would rule that making an attack (thusly accidentally discharing it) doesn't necessarily discharge the spell onto the target. Instead, your melee attack just makes it fizzle.

Also understand that attacking with a spiked gauntlet is still an unarmed attack. It's just now lethal. So you're provoking an attack of opportunity unless you take a level in Monk, which is a waste.

I recommend you look into that spell...what is it? I think it's Flower Bloom? Or something to do with flowers...it's in the Spell Compendium. It's a Sorcerer/Wizard 1st, plus I think Divine casters can use it. It allows you to hold a touch spell in each limb (that is, arm limb). You can concievably dual wield touch attacks in this way, though you take all the negatives to dual wielding that you normally would. It's either that, or just wait until you have two BAB's.

Edit: There is one way you could get around it. Both spells would need to be quickened to Free actions, then you could conceivably dual wield. But you would need the effects of that Flower Bloom spell on first (it lasts a number of rounds equal to your CL). However, I think you can only use one metamagic feat per round, can't you? Either way, this would be severely taxing on your upper-level spells.
This is why the Duskblade's Arcane Channeling is so powerful. Because it allows you to apply a touch spell on multiple attacks.

From the top; my best answers.

Casting the first spell on one round, making a full attack and using the quicken spell feat to insert the next spell before the second attack lands on the next round is what I'm aiming for here as quicken spell makes the second spell a free action with no attack of opportunity.

This is where I'm getting the spiked gauntlet inflict from;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holding the Charge
If you don’t discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the discharge of the spell (hold the charge) indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates.
Though depending on how you read it this second half of the paragraph may contradict it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second half of the paragraph
Alternatively, you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren’t considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. (If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack.) If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge.
To my eyes tapping an opponent with a gauntlet to discharge a spell or ripping through his guts with a claw attack are only different in that the second one puts you in contact for longer, though DMs might contest it in terms of game balance rather than actual rules problems...

Spiked gauntlets are listed as light melee weapons, its not in the unarmed section of the melee table.

This flower bloom spell has peaked my interest and will have me rooting through the spell compendium, something I keep putting off.

And lastly with divine metamagic (complete divine) you replace spell slot increase with turn attempts, with extra turning and a high char mod you could attack like that, though for my first tactic all you need is the quicken, a +1 charisma mod and a turn to prepare the first spell.

Please pick holes in this theory if you can, I need it either discredited or validated before I'll use it seriously.

edit; should I make an actual thread for this, it seems to be becoming quite the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky number 13 View Post
From the top; my best answers.

Casting the first spell on one round, making a full attack and using the quicken spell feat to insert the next spell before the second attack lands on the next round is what I'm aiming for here as quicken spell makes the second spell a free action with no attack of opportunity.
Inflict only has 1 charge, so standard attack or full attack doesn't matter, it's only going to activate on the first attack you land. However, if you use a full attack for whatever reason, yes you can use a Swift action to cast a spell with a cast time of Swift or less... which means yes you can hold the spell to the next round.

However, under no circumstance that I can think of, are you allowed to cast a spell in the middle of a full attack. I don't know if you were asking about this possibility at one point or not, but in case you were... well, there you go.

Quote:
Spiked gauntlets are listed as light melee weapons, its not in the unarmed section of the melee table.
Yes, you are considered armed while you wear spiked gauntlets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfeld View Post
Inflict only has 1 charge, so standard attack or full attack doesn't matter, it's only going to activate on the first attack you land. However, if you use a full attack for whatever reason, yes you can use a Swift action to cast a spell with a cast time of Swift or less... which means yes you can hold the spell to the next round.

However, under no circumstance that I can think of, are you allowed to cast a spell in the middle of a full attack. I don't know if you were asking about this possibility at one point or not, but in case you were... well, there you go.
I was talking about using quicken spell for the second spell, it becomes a free action, free actions include things like talking, so does that mean I could place a free action in the middle of an attack considering the spell has been released instantly more or less.

Quote:
I was talking about using quicken spell for the second spell, it becomes a free action, free actions include things like talking, so does that mean I could place a free action in the middle of an attack considering the spell has been released instantly more or less.
Quickened spells are Swift actions, not Free. This is a case where the eratta for the core books was put out before the introduction of Swift actions (Complete Adventurer), so the SRD remains inaccurate. Rules Compendium has clarified that Quickened spells are now Swift actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeman830 View Post
Quickened spells are Swift actions, not Free. This is a case where the eratta for the core books was put out before the introduction of Swift actions (Complete Adventurer), so the SRD remains inaccurate. Rules Compendium has clarified that Quickened spells are now Swift actions.
So I need to understand an entire new type of action now? I started to lose track with immediate actions and abrupt jaunt.

Time to open CA it seems...

edit; basically a free action but i only get one?

Now i just need to determine the limits of a free action.

I was wrong on a couple of things.

For some stupid reason, spiked gauntlets are considered armed...gauntlets aren't. I don't see how some spikes would change that at all. But...whatever, it's in the book.

Yeah, I made a wrong assumption that Quicken would make those spells Free. Nope. You can only have one Swift action per turn.

In short, even if your DM allows you to discharge your spells from attacks (again, that's something that is open to interpretation) what you're planning won't work. You'd have to have a high enough BAB to attack twice in a round, and that would require the Flower Bloom spell thingy that I referred to earlier. And THAT would require you to set up your touch spells ahead of time.

So...at this point I really don't know how important this is to you. Something that's even more discouraging when you outgrow Inflict Light Wounds for something more damaging (and I mean something other than Inflict Wounds).

Quote:
So I need to understand an entire new type of action now? I started to lose track with immediate actions and abrupt jaunt.

Time to open CA it seems...

edit; basically a free action but i only get one?

Now i just need to determine the limits of a free action.
Actually, an Immediate action can be thought of as a Swift action you can take on someone else's turn, since it uses your Swift action for your next turn (or for this turn, if you use it then).

There are 6 types of actions: Free, Immediate, Swift, Move, Standard, and Full round. Note that a Full round action is an action that takes both a Standard and a Move action.

I'll create a new thread. I have some replies and I need this picked apart or made clear or I'll always wonder.

Thanks for your patience.