Martyr Class? - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Martyr Class?

Mmm? Damn! I keep forgetting to add the changes I make:

Pain's Influence: At First level, the Martyr only gains the benefit of half the health healed by healing spells, potions, or items.

Also, I was thinking this for balance, but it was never really an attacking class:
Mutual Strike: Basically, like the Rogue's sneak attack, but the Martyr takes half the damage dealt.

I'm confused. The class is underpowered, it's stated to be underpowered, and you... nerf it more? I assume you're wanting this to be played, as opposed to being another Hexblade/Healer/CW Samurai.

For starters if this guy is meant to be a primary melee combatant, why does he have the combat stats of a cleric, but without all the CoDzilla-y goodness that is the spells? And weaker saves to boot. This guy has the chassis of a Warrior. As in, the NPC class. No, worse than that. Warrior gets full BAB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal_Wisdom View Post
Mmm? Well, it would help if I wasn't spammed with ideas that no one disagreed with. Are hexblades and Samurai weak?
Let's put it this way. The CW Samurai is a Fighter, but with far fewer and preset bonus feats. Fighters suck. Fighter with less = sucks more? Hexblades are one of the many things great conceptually, but falls flat on its face in execution due to main class feature not being usable often, extreme multiple attribute dependency, spells which seem nice until you realize you'll never beat enemy spell resist or shrug off a dispel due to the half CL among many other things.

I specify CW Samurai because there's another by the same name in OA. It's not so bad.

So, you suggest a general boost to this character? I was orignally planning on giving him either a d10 or 12 hit dice so that he could easily stand to throw down his life.

I would recommend making him alot like a barbarian, and replace the barbarian class features with the martyr features.

To me this is more of a PrC concept... then again I feel Duskblades and Samurai should be PrCs as well.

One thing that puzzles me is how some of the martyr's abilities are supposed to work. I can understand healing for HP, but adding extra damage bonus to an ally? Of course this doesn't really have anything to do with mechanics, just something that people might find a bit strange.

A few things:
1) Martyr's attack adds the bonus to what? Damage? Bab? Both?
2) The damage recieved for Bloodletting is skewed. Save DCs don't nearly advance as quickly as the relative CR of that poison. A first level Martyr would be killed by this use from a relatively harmless poison (save DC 12), but a 5th level martyr could negate otherwise deadly 3d6 con damage poisons by only taking 20 damage. I'd look for a better way to scale the HP loss for this ability. Then again poisons are a joke anyway
3) Range of Life syphon?
4) Does Martyr's Stance have limited uses per day? If not this could be a bit too powerful, instant regen after each encounter?... at least for a cohort.
5) Martyr's power: again no range specified.
6) Martyr's Focus: Flavor wise this lends itself more to a Cha based DC, and make it 1/2 class level.
7) Divine Providence: It sounds like the weapon recieve both Lawful and the chaotic Descriptor? Isn't that conflicting, since the character would have to be True Neutral or suffer two negative effects from handling a weapon opposed to his alignment.
7) Ultimate Sacrifice: is this an action? Which one? Does the Martyr need to maintin a focus or is this just an automatic ability, that he can turn on and off at will?

I can see some combinations that would make this class effective... sorta. Sanctuary with M. Stance or Ultimate Sacrifice for example, but overall it is underpowered and would not be very fun to play as a PC I imagine. I mean your character is there to get killed ... not fun. It would make for an interesting NPC class though.

I would give him good Will saves as well. He is a martyr after all... maybe immunities to fear and some mind-affecting conditions at a higher level. Actually I'd even give him immunities to poison/disease, just fits with the class.

If it were a PRC, all it'd mean is you can't play the character you want from level 1. Which was the point of Duskblade - be a gish 1-20.

As for the class, I recommend a D12 HD, Fort and Will good or even all good (seems overpowered, but your class description is Punching Bag... at least be able to take the hits!) and I dunno... maybe a low amount of fast healing? Useless in combat, but keeps you from sucking out all the cleric's healing magic instead of letting him be CoDzilla. :P

I'll be making some changes in my notebook today and then transferring them onto here. Your advice has really been helpful. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnistar View Post
I would recommend making him alot like a barbarian, and replace the barbarian class features with the martyr features.
Yeah, that was kind of my thoughts / take on this... if he's meant to be a playable martyr... he's got to be fairly durable...

Having the attack of a cleric I don't know if that matters... but this class screams a need for d10s (minimum) or d12s (better) and better saves (possibly good-all)...

Ha! I didn't get around to reading Roy's last post... the thought on low-level fasthealing (maybe something along the lines of the speed of regneration hp/minute rather than hp/round)... maybe growing as the character grows...