Farland arena suggestion - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

World of Farland

A world conquered by evil and ruled by the Lords of Sin; A unique campaign setting designed to be used with all editions of D&D.

Farland arena suggestion

Farland arena suggestion

Erm...I'm not the head of knowledge about Farland, in fact probably about the bottom. If this is not in the right place, I apologize.

Just as a bit of fun for the DM to also get together and duke it out with his own creations, how about an semi/annual tournament in either the recaptured realms or those still controlled by the Lords of Sin? The tournament gathers all of the strongest fighters into one place, with arenas that shift, whether from a forested area, naval battles, lava pits, dark caves, to an old style gladiator arena. The players are separated and each put into a randomized roster and made to fight it out with other random warriors, most likely just as out of sorts by the wacky arenas as the PC.

Opinions, suggestions, changes welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal_Wisdom View Post
Erm...I'm not the head of knowledge about Farland, in fact probably about the bottom. If this is not in the right place, I apologize.

Just as a bit of fun for the DM to also get together and duke it out with his own creations, how about an semi/annual tournament in either the recaptured realms or those still controlled by the Lords of Sin? The tournament gathers all of the strongest fighters into one place, with arenas that shift, whether from a forested area, naval battles, lava pits, dark caves, to an old style gladiator arena. The players are separated and each put into a randomized roster and made to fight it out with other random warriors, most likely just as out of sorts by the wacky arenas as the PC.

Opinions, suggestions, changes welcome!

Hehe, I like it. It wouldn't fit in with the flavor of the world, and it wouldn't be able to be canon, but it might make for a fun semi-annual Farland holiday event to hold on Myth-Weavers. I'll look into it.

Thanks for the suggestion!

How about if we made it a head to head, round robin type battle.

We could put a list together or 8 or 16 'bad guys' and 8 or 16 'good guys' from the site and each week have the site vote as to which one they either like the best or which one they thought would win in a fight.

We would give complete backgrounds and write ups of these folks or the link to the site.

At the end, we have the 'SuperBlood Bowl' of Farland to see who is the baddest/
I know, goodest ain't a word
goodest in all of Farland!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
How about if we made it a head to head, round robin type battle.

We could put a list together or 8 or 16 'bad guys' and 8 or 16 'good guys' from the site and each week have the site vote as to which one they either like the best or which one they thought would win in a fight.

We would give complete backgrounds and write ups of these folks or the link to the site.

At the end, we have the 'SuperBlood Bowl' of Farland to see who is the baddest/
I know, goodest ain't a word
goodest in all of Farland!!!

Another decent idea. Would it be more fun, though, if the players could roll up Farland characters and duke it out, or just bet on wins?

I'm thinking about it as more of a marketing angle...

If we have a head-to-head voting schedule between the bad guys and good guys of our site, it would get people to understand more of the background... They'd have to read at least some of the histories in order to
Unless they are democr uneducated voters
know who to vote for...

And once we sucker them into reading some of the histories, they'll be dragged into the World of Farland even deeper...

Mwahahaha.

I think rolling up a Farland character and duking it out would be great!!!

Kind of a "Quick and the Dead" style.

I dig both angles; sounds like Squeak's would force the players to gain a more in-depth knowledge of history and backgrounds, but the original idea would let players just go in and duke it out. Any reason that both can't be done...or is that just a bit too overwhelming in scale?

How about the program/game DM selecting a series of locations/scenarios from which to pick? E.g., he could pick the Ravenloft castle in Kale, the caverns beneath Garakesh, a fight scene in Far City, maybe six or seven altogether, and place the fighter in a situation. Kinda like the old Star Trek episode where the crew was plopped down into the middle of the OK corral and Spock had to mind-meld them into thinking it was all a dream.

So the character would be given a situation. The DM would have to design each four of the scenarios to be equivalent, then two to be much tougher, then one mauvais-posterior one (can't say bad-ass in front of Connor). Then, as eight goobers face off, the winners advance in the bracket, a la March Madness! Then the winner gets to play his character in a brand new game designed by the staff - some new scenario - and gets to select a team from the also-rans! That way, his prize would be creating his own team.

Also, and I don't know if this is possible or a good idea, but the rolls in the first bracket could be truncated - i.e., if you roll a 1 or 2, they become a 3, and 20 and 19 become 18, so as to help eliminate the possibility of bad rolls or good rolls determining everything - the skills of the character would count for more. Is that too much manipulation? We may not want a good character blown out because of a bad roll, or do we? Remember, this is coming from the mind of a novice, so bear with me.

Another thought - are we fighting, for instance, Rupert against Nips in a Daven castle? Or Rupert vs. a set of undead from a Daven castle scenario, then Nips vs. some Orc troops in a cave in Kelerak? And does the original player play his character, or does the DM just wind it all up and play everything? Personally, I think the player should play his own character, we shouldn't get it too mechanized.

Question - does each character have to assume his original alignment? What if we go head-to-head and the winners of the first fight are faced off against each other, and they're both good guys? This is only if they fight each other, not if they fight planned bad guys.

Ahhh....I really like the idea of the different locales. That would add some spice to the different battles. I don't know if we'd get to concerned about alignments and such, as there'd be less role-playing involved than usual. Instead, it'd be a hack and slash, roll 'em if you got 'em, all-out battle. We'd just need a moderator (DM) to do the rundowns, and two fellas' to duke it out.

So...when do we get started...