Walking Dead - Where Would You Go? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Walking Dead - Where Would You Go?

Walking Dead - Where Would You Go?

I want to pose this to the weave and see if any fans of the Walking Dead television series will give their 2 cents.

What I want to know is this:

If you were caught up in the events of the show, what would you do? Specifically, where would you try to get to? In the show they first want to get to the CDC. After that there was talk of heading to Fort Benning. Assume that you are at the Atlanta Survivors camp just west of Atlanta, GA and its been a couple of months since wildfire.

I'm hoping for serious ideas and an explanation of why you would do what you would do, though I don't mind if it gets light-hearted here and there. The reason I'm doing this is I want to eventually GM a Walking Dead game here and I thought if I got some ideas of where people might want to head to I might prepare some materials for those areas in case the game eventually goes that way.

Please remember to use spoiler tags to wrap spoilers.

Totally head out to sea. Living at sea has its own difficulties, but the last thing you have to worry about is walkers.

Course, you might have to worry about pirates, but that's another thing altogether xD

I second greyfield, in fact, try your best to get a nice trawler and arm up, because piracy is not just for movies and music...

How would you get food? Fresh water? Removal of waste? Overcome the limited space environment?

Note: I'm not arguing against the idea, just curious about the thought process. Out to sea certainly gets you AWAY from walkers, but resources would be even more severely limited. Once out to sea, would you head to somewhere specific? Or would the goal be to stay on the water?

I too like the idea of heading out to sea though. I think it was Kenny in the game who suggested getting to a boat in Florida. That would be my plan. A minimally populated seaport would be ideal although the great lakes might be another consideration. I wouldn't fancy a trip through New York to get to the ocean though.

you create a solar catchbasin for freshwater, Waste can go over the side, limited space is the biggest issue and if you get a boat designed for fishing or other commercial means that is manageable by a single person, you can refit some of the area for cargo to suit your new crew.

Where I live there is a archipelago with almost NO ONE living on the islands so I would sleep on the sea and hunt/gather on the barely inhabited islands. You can troll when you have time for extra food, and there are A LOT of fresh water streams around. I guess I just live in a perfect place for this to happen.

I suppose I must not tell y'all where I love so I wont have to much competition.

I'd certainly head to a lesser populated area. Although distance and resources would be the main driving factor for me. A place with enough land to be sustainable (farming, livestock, etc) to rebuild but secure enough to be fortified. I don't know exactly what that means, but those would be my criteria. A natural fresh water source is needed. In the south east, however, that comes pretty easy.

Aside from finding a place to hole up in, really MY main draw would probably be knowing whether or not family were safe. But, that's mainly because we currently don't live near any family (4 hours drive either direction). My logical mind says to avoid high concentration areas (big cities, hospitals, evacuation zones), but I'm sure I'd be easily swayed into the presumed safety of the military.

I've been on the water most of my life and being trapped on a boat with no food/water is pretty dismal. I'd see that as pretty fatalistic. However, traveling by boat to a remote island would be far more palatable. From Georgia, you'd be talking about heading down the ICW - which might prove perilous because of proximity to land. But, I don't see a way around it because you're going to need fuel. If you ever need resources on that avenue, let me know. My dad made this journey last summer from VA down to the Bahamas.

I think having a good sustainable (low maintenance, low fuel-consumption, decent carrying capacity) boat and getting to a remote, low-populated island would be a good bet. Unfortunately for me I lack the nautical knowledge to make the boat idea work though.

I would also consider trying to make my way north; somewhere that the harsh winters might slow the walkers down. Of course the problems with that are obvious as well. Frozen ground means you cant grow much. Snow and ice and cold mean the elements are going to beat the crap put of you if you're not adequately protected. It also potentially means fewer people though.